The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Exchange - import empty fields and overwrite database

Highlighted
Blimp
Super Collector

Data Exchange - import empty fields and overwrite database

Hi,

Is it possible for a Data Exchange task to take an empty field on the source data and then make the corresponding field in SD empty - ie overwrite/delete/blank out what is in the databse with the empty input?

I am passing data from an Excel spreadsheet, and I my setup works fine where there is data to pass, but if the source field is empty it leaves the existing entry in SD which I don't want it to.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.
4 REPLIES
The Pike
Honored Contributor

Re: Data Exchange - import empty fields and overwrite database

I could be wrong but as far as I recall, you can't empty fields via Data Exchange. What you can do -if they're text fields- is overwrite them with something such as , then search for and do a mass update to clear the field using the Update All feature.

Hope this helps!
Do not forget to assign points for the contribution.

The Pike
Ken Briscoe
Honored Contributor

Pike is correct.

But I use a DB rule when doing this repeatedly.
So import say "" or whatever as the string into the field (if text) then DB Rule like:

If fieldname(*) is exactly "" then set fieldname = Make Empty (function).

Db rule fires for every record updated on data exchange import of course so works fine.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
Blimp
Super Collector

Thanks for your help peoples.

I did actually find a solution: In the excel source spreadsheet enter __EMPTY__ (double underscores)into the empty cells. This then magically clears the field on import.
The Pike
Honored Contributor

That's pretty neat. Never heard that was possible. I may have to use it someday!
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event