Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Data Accessjava.lang.OutOfMemoryError (Optimal Mem Settings)

Highlighted
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

Data Accessjava.lang.OutOfMemoryError (Optimal Mem Settings)

We have been receiving out of memory errors in Service Desk were only one instance is running. I am running SD 4.5 SP19, Windows 2003 with 4 GB RAM. I would like somebody to look at my Java memory settings to see if they are correct. There are usually less that 25 connections to this box including SRM. The Settings in the sd_server.bat file for java is -XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M -cp lib\classloader.jar com.hp.startup.Bootstrap com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer

I am thinking with 4 GB RAM we could dedicate more RAM to Java. We also have another SD box same memory (4GB) running two instances of Service Desk were we have out of Memory errors weekly evem though we stop and restart the service twice a week. Any help would be greatly appreciated
4 REPLIES
Loys
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Data Accessjava.lang.OutOfMemoryError (Optimal Mem Settings)

Hi ... If you have 4GB, then you can have:
-XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1500M. Also, can you let me know if you had watched memory usage of sd_serverservice.exe in taskmanager when you saw this error message.
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi!

You can dedicate more memory to Java.

Run the server in stand alone mode (ie: not as a service), then you can see the server monitoring screen, which shows the amount of memory & you can flush the temp memory safely.

Ashly A K
http://geocities.com/helponhpopenview/
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Venkatesha_1
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

Check to see is the application server using the proper memory.

verify is the server is installed as a service with the mentioned memory settings. If not then uninstall it from the service and re-install with the new settings.

Also check is that line is commented or uncommeted. By default the above mentioned settings is commented in the file. As this is useful if more memory available.

If it is commented then uncomment the above mentioned line and comment the existing one.

Any changes to settings needs a re-installation of the service(Not the application, only from the windows service).

Hope this helps
Venky

Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

Never had a chance to see what the memory usage was actually at when these error messages actually appear. We were more concerned on getting the service back up and running. Thanks for everybody's help and I will keep you posted and let you know if this help at all