cancel

DST JRE on WIndows App server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

DST JRE on WIndows App server

Looks like my App server is not picking up the correct Java version that was installed. I installed JRE 1.3.1_19 per HP. I have also installed the patches from HP for DST that they created for me. The history time in tickets looks great but when a databse puts a time stamp in a information field it is 1 hours behind and so is the server log. When the service starts it is still showing Java Version 1.3.1_03B. Does anybody know all the places I need to modify to point to the new Java Version installservice.bat and?
10 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: DST JRE on WIndows App server

Hi Rory,

did you update the servers environment path variables to point to the updated version of java. If so did you put the entry for the JRE 1.3.1_19 to the start of the path statement. I had to do thsi recently for OVSD to find the updated java version.

Nathan Brand
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,
at patch SDSK_00106 it says that 1.3.1_19
will not do. you need the 1.3.1_20 for it.
natan
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

There was no JAVA path statements I am preety sure it was just taking the default path. How should I add that the the Environment Variables

Variable = Java
Value = C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1_19\bin\hotspot

This is were the jvm.dll is located

I tried putting this info into the geniric path file but it did not work
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

HP Support sent me an email that says 1.3.1_18 or 19 will work for DST. I still think somewhere in SD you need to point it to the new Java install since I was told that there was not need to de-insall the older version can somebody confirm?
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

In the installservice.bat or the sd_server.bat files you replace "Default" with the absolute path to the java install (.dll file). You then uninstall the service and reinstall the service or stop and restart the sd_server.bat file.
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

I am going to test this on a dev server is that the path to the jvm.dll file
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

I am going to test this on a dev server is that the path to the jvm.dll file i.e C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_13\bin\client this is where the jvm.dll file is located
Tim Schmitt_4
Honored Contributor.

This is a line from our installservice.bat file. I do believe that you have the right path.

sd_serverservice.exe -install "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server" "C:\j2sdk1.4.2_09\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll" -XX:MaxNewSize=64M etc.....

We do not use 1.4.2_13 because we were worried about the performance of the JRE (HP has a support document recommending that you use 1.4.2_09 but this was written before 1.4.2_13 was out). Instead, we used tzupdater, which is an application distributed by java that will updater the timezones of most modern JREs to updater 1.4.2_09.
Tim Schmitt_4
Honored Contributor.

Also, we use the j2sdk file because some other applications on the box need this variety of java in order to function. If you are using the 1.4.2 JRE, it should work as well but the paths are a little different. The J2SDK installs to C:\1.4.2_09 by default where the JRE installs into the program files.

In summary, I think it looks good, just make sure you apend jvm.dll to the end.
Michal Kovac
Super Contributor.

Hi Rory,
IMHO HP OV SD 4.5 app. server takes JRE from this registry path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server\Parameters\JVM Library (by default f.i. C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1_03\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll).

JRE version used by app. server you can check in log\logserver.txt.

Hope this helps,
Michal