cancel

DNS application server change

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Gail D
Super Contributor.

DNS application server change

My customer is changing their sub-network which will change the IP address and DNS of the Service Desk server application.

I know I will have to update the IP address in application.
Does anyone know the affects, if any, of changing the DNS will have on the SD application server? The hostname will not change.

using SD 4.5 SP17

thanks, Gail
6 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: DNS application server change

Hi Gail,

first this is - do you just have app server, database and clients? or do you have integrations accessing the application server e.g. OVO or commnad line interfaces that use the IP address or FQDN of the app server?
Gail D
Super Contributor.

Mark,

I have app server, database, clients and OVO and commnad line interfaces that use the IP address. Not completely sure about OVO, it might be using the FQDN but that server is also being changed.

When I checked the Application server status window, the server name shows the FQDN. I have not been able to find where to change it, bin file?
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Anything like OVO and other integrations. If you have the IP address and / or the fqdn "hard coded" in .ini files and command strings you will need to change them.

There is a server settings .ini or xml that should have a record of these details that you can change in a text editor.

I can't look as my lab went offine (again). I really must spend some time on that.
Gail D
Super Contributor.

I've noted all application and scripts to be updated and the server.exe file. I hoping SD will pickup the new FQDN after the IP has been changed.

You have reassured me that I've covered all bases...hopeful, time will tell.

Thanks for you good input,
Gail
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

another thing - do you have an email connector or forwarding setup for in-bound email. Normally these are set against the server IP address - check this out too on your email system if that is the case.
Gail D
Super Contributor.

Mark,

Our mail server is outside of the firewall which is not being changed so I shouldn't have an issue.

thanks for all of you help.

Gail - have a good weekend.