DB rules with scheduled tasks depending on the Deadline

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Milan Karban
Respected Contributor.

DB rules with scheduled tasks depending on the Deadline

Hi,

I've following DB rules for email notifications defined in our SD 4.5 SP15 (Scheduled Tasks functionality):
- 2hours before Deadline of SC/IN if Status isn't Closed;
- 1min after Deadline of SC/IN if Status isn't Closed.

Problem is that when the Deadline changes (e.g. due to changed Service or Impact when SD operator improperly filled it in) the new scheduled tasks are created, but the old scheduled notifications stay active and notify users/managers at the wrong time (based on old Deadline time).

Exists some solution for this problem? Or exists other definition of DB rules for email notifications when the SC/IN isn't closed 2hours before Deadline or at the moment of Deadline allow for the Deadline change?

Thanks,

Milan K.
6 REPLIES
Tommy Koronen_1
Super Contributor.

Re: DB rules with scheduled tasks depending on the Deadline

Add a condition for Deadline too.
For example: NOT (Deadline (*) is empty)

This way the same Scheduled task is rescheduled.
Milan Karban
Respected Contributor.

Hi,

thanks for your answer, but this doesn't solve the problem.

In my rules, the new scheduled tasks are correctly created after the Deadline change. Problem is, that the old (historic) scheduled tasks stay active (historic task isn't deleted or directly rescheduled - I've more notification scheduled tasks from the rule to the one SC) and therefore when the new Deadline after change is e.g. day after the historic one, the notification will be sent in the old time that is not already correct for this notification.
Tommy Koronen_1
Super Contributor.

So you already have a condition for Deadline in your DB rule?
Have you set "only execute once"?
Akies
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Milan,

Can you explain why and when are you extending your deadline? Actually I am also using this kind of feature but with actula start(...hrs after actual start) but I am not facing any error..So please explain when are you doing this activity..

Regards,
Akhil
Tommy Koronen_1
Super Contributor.
Solution

I made a small example DB rule that works for me if I change the deadline. The time for the scheduled task is adjusted if the deadline has changed, and only one message is sent:

Condition:
When service call is created or modified
where NOT (Deadline (*) is empty)
AND NOT (Status (*) equals Closed, Schedule the validation of this condition at 5 minutes Before Deadline, Only execute once)

Action:
Test (Send e-mail message) , Send to: XXX@YYY.ZZZ, Subject: Test, Message: Hello

Does this help?
Milan Karban
Respected Contributor.

Hi,

thank you for all your answers. Tommy's definition of DB rule is working properly on SP15.

My mistake was that I tested my DB rules (scheduled notifications depended on the potentially changing Deadline time) on the old installation of SD in our lab with SP12, where this error apears.