The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB rule to move data from one field to other, fails intermittently

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Cory Chapman
Occasional Contributor

DB rule to move data from one field to other, fails intermittently

We are using Service Desk 4.5, SP 12. We have a DB rule which updates one field (user view enabled) from another field (user write enabled) - the intent, create a "log history" field which can not be changed by the user. This is done inorder to track work completed.

Here is the DB rule:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

When service call is created or modified
where NOT (Information (*) is empty)
Access Ticket Close Time (Update Data) Access Ticket Close Time set to (Current date),
Update Information Log from Information (Update Data) Information Log set to (Concatenate [Information Log] With (Concatenate %line.separator%Start Log: With (Concatenate [Access Ticket Open Time] With (Concatenate Current Person: With (Concatenate (Current person) With (Concatenate %line.separator% With (Concatenate [Information] With (Concatenate %line.separator%Log Close: With (Concatenate [Access Ticket Close Time] With %line.separator%--------------------------------------------------%line.separator%))))))))); Information set to (Make empty)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The DB rule is working part of the time, approximately 93% of the time. We currently have aproximately 130 service desk tickets which are open, and 8 of them are not updating the intended field.

Of the 8 tickets - 3 were generated by users with non-elevated rights (basic open and update ticket), and 3 by users with elevated rights (open, close, update, modify, add, delete - can do most anything with a ticket).

There are multiple forms available for use, and over 260 templates to go with them.

I initially thought my problems lay with techs (users), working SD with their elevated rights accounts (rather than a straight tech account, just to work tickets - no elevated rights required). Now I am not so sure (errors by 50% with elevated rights, 50% non-elevated rights)

Question(s): Are my problems coming from the users/techs; the forms/templates; or from the DB rules or UI rules (or both) - or even a combination of all the above?

What is the best way to find out where the problem lies?

The SD structure I am currently responsible for, was installed and configured several years ago, and little documentation was left- just the Admin and User Manuals. I am relatively new to the world of HPOV-Service Desk (around 8 months total exposure) - and have found the manuals which HP provide are not particularly helpful with anything but overly simplified problems. Would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Thanks,

Cory
5 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DB rule to move data from one field to other, fails intermittently

Hi Cory,

I think this is the problem "Information set to (Make empty)" Its the last update in the rule. Take this out of the rule altogether.

Create a sepetate DB rule that does the "Information set to (Make empty)" and make sure that this rule is placed as low as possible in the list so that the concatenations ar all complete and written to the log field with a little time before the make empty runs.

This should then work for you.
Mike Bush
Honored Contributor

Cory, you may also need to position your rule "first" or "early" in the sequence. We had a similar situation with an "intermittent" rule and eventually traced it to another rule which was supposed to be setting a Date/Time field and would occasionally fail with a "cannot be before" check when the user PC clock was out of sync with the Server. It appears that a rule "failure" of this kind can kill the sequence of rules causing "later" ones not to fire.
Cory Chapman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick responses. I will run some tests this weekend with both of your recommendations in mind. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Cory
Cory Chapman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks - followed advise from both: removed the "make empty" command and created a new DBase rule, just for "make empty".

Then I moved the Update Data rule higher in the list, and moved the "make empty" lower - put some distance between the two of them.

All seems to be working great.

Thanks again.

Cory
Cory Chapman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks,
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event