Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB rule and SD4.5

Highlighted
aaron afilalo
Regular Collector

DB rule and SD4.5


I have created a DB rule to write the actual finish date at specific Status (see below). It works 95% of the time. the other 5%, Actual finish does not get written to and this is only on manually created calls (all email generated calls work).
any ideas where I am going wrong??

thanks to all.

When service call is created
OR When service call is modified
where Status (*) equals ResolvedORFulfilledORCustomer Not SatisfiedORAbandoned, Schedule the validation of this condition at 2 minutes After Registration;Modified

Update Actual Finish (Update Data) Actual Finish set to (Current date)
10 REPLIES
bhatta
Super Collector

Re: DB rule and SD4.5

Dear Aaron,

Remove the condition, evaluate this rule when this field is modified.(i.e., "*" condition) I hope the DB rule will work all the time.

Thanks & Regards
bhatta
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: DB rule and SD4.5

Hi,

why don't you just use a UI rule to fill the field in in real time - reduced a DB rule and the scheduled tasks that will be created.

UI rule to fire when the status is set to one of the ones that you want.
aaron afilalo
Regular Collector

Re: DB rule and SD4.5

Thanks to both of you for your responses

I tried a UI rule and the Actual Finish field winds up never being written to - my UI rule is very similar to the DB rule - I use "Before item is saved" or "When a value has changed" etc... And neither produces what I need.

As for the Evaluate this rule option, I also tried this and got mixed results. Just to make sure, the Evaluate option waits for the field being specified in the condition to be changed before the specified action is activated, right??

thanks again.

Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Re: DB rule and SD4.5

Hi Aaron,

Have you got rule debug switched on? Are there any error messages which might help with this?

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Gerry Allardice
Honored Contributor

Re: DB rule and SD4.5

Aaron,
Looking at the log file on the server (logserver.txt) is likely to give a clue. Do you have other rules that do things on closed ie send an email. Just look in the log at time stamps around the time the call
is saved and you may see some common entry that gives a pointer for the failed ones.
Also not sure why you would schedule this, why not just set it immediately when the desired status is met.

Regards
Gerry
aaron afilalo
Regular Collector

Re: DB rule and SD4.5

To all, thanks.

I am in the process of checking the log file. Hope to have some feedback shortly.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: DB rule and SD4.5

Hi

regards to "I tried a UI rule and the Actual Finish field winds up never being written to" - any idea why not. Is there another rule affecting this (or an SLA calculation)?
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Re: DB rule and SD4.5

Hi Aaron,

Just another thought: is Actual Finiah an audited field? If so you can seee in the history when its vaue alters which might help.

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
aaron afilalo
Regular Collector

Re: DB rule and SD4.5

I finally have been able to get a look at the log file. The log gives me a response of: DBRuleManager> Rule "15 BP-Set Actual Finish when Status=Resolved": don't execute the actions. no idea so far why it does not execute. again it only fails on manually generated calls.

Ruth: Actual Finish is audited and I do see it written to for email generated calls.
Gerry: As for why I have it scheduled, it is more out of a lack of deep understanding of DB inner workings that I decided not to have it run at the same time as a whole load of other rules. I thought that I could cut down on "interference", since not scheduling it did not work either.
Mark: it is the only rule using this field running in my system.

thanks for your comments
aaron afilalo
Regular Collector

Re: DB rule and SD4.5

thanks to all,

with some of your comments I decided to review my DB rule. I changed the condition to eliminate scheduling and then I changed the Evaluate when field has changed -it all seems to work. thanks to all.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event