The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Rule Update Wildcard in Substitute For

Highlighted
itsmmdc
Occasional Contributor

DB Rule Update Wildcard in Substitute For

SD 4.5 SP24

I need to use a wildcard within a database rule Update using Substitute for.

I have the following text field containing an email field taken from Email Service Call:

"Joe Bloggs"

I would like to delete *.< and remove the trailing > from the field so that I can use this field as a search code and email of Person.

Obviously The start of this text field will never be the same length of characters as the names will be different. Does anyone know how to use a Wildcard such as *. within the String field of Substitute for or perhaps a workaround solution?

Thanks
4 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Re: DB Rule Update Wildcard in Substitute For

Hi there,

There is no wildcard feature available.

The only workaround I can suggest are:

1. First set a custom text field with substitute the < character with n other characters that would not be in name (e.g. !)

2. Then set custom text fields to trim left and right n characters

3. Then substitute ! by space and also > on the relevant part

4. Trim trailing and leading spaces off each

5. Concatenate these as you want.

By padding with the ! characters it means that when you do the trims you can ensure that you take the bits you need.

For this to work, I think n has to be the maximum length that an email address can be.

I hope you understand this and that it helps; I have not actually tested it but I THINK it should work!!

Regards, Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
itsmmdc
Occasional Contributor

Thought of that but thatâ s very messy.

Yet again I have resorted to another language to overcome this, I have created some VB that will handle this and pass it back.

The amount of external code we have to write to overcome things like this I should have just wrote my own Service Management tool.

Thanks Anyway.
itsmmdc
Occasional Contributor

Well, this is no surprise, the hassle I am having closing this thread. I think that even this forum would be well liked by Entomologists. (That goes for OVSD 4.5 also, Bring back Prolin)
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

While I do not disagree with your reposnse to my posting I DID take the trouble to write it all down and some points to show you appreciate this would not come amiss!!!

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event