Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Rule Question for OVSD SP 17, CMDB Module

Highlighted
Moxie
Regular Collector

DB Rule Question for OVSD SP 17, CMDB Module

In the CMDB module of OVSD SP 17 I would like to write some type of rule that says when a New CI is created or modified, check the value of CI Name (custom field) and send a error message if that CI Name already exists.

Is this possible? Anyone have another possible solution.

The issue is that I have over 60,000 CIs in OVSD and the field CI Name is the key search field defined in the admin console for all other integrated modules. CIs that have the same CI Name are a problem... other than changing the primary search key back to SearchCode - what else can I do?

Thanks!
Do it right the first time
7 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: DB Rule Question for OVSD SP 17, CMDB Module

Hi,

have a look at the following thread and see if it can help

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1119853

Also there is a setting in the adminconsole-system panel-general settings-Application tab "Unique Search Code for CI" so make sure that this is also checked.
Moxie
Regular Collector

Apprecate the response, Unique Search Code is already checked and the link to the Unique Person Record Search Code doesn't really help me.

I have a custom field (Text 255) to store the CI Name of a Configuration Item. This field is set up as the primary search field but if I can find a way to also force it to be unique, that would help my users from potentially having to choose from multiple CIs with the same CI Name. (ie: I need to stop the CI Name value from being duplicated.)
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

using a text field will not be affected by the system panel setting - this you know.

You can use SD-Dataform to show a list of any other CIs that have the same name. It doesn't stop the user using the same name but can help.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

What are the contratints of using the CI search code? I have ran into a few with not being able to use some characters etc. but we generally went back and used it as the field could be controlled by the system panel to have unique names CI's
Moxie
Regular Collector

Originally the service desk wanted the primary search to be the *common* name of the CI. The Search Codes used in the OVSD CMDB at my organization have some built in coded data which can be valuable but not necessarily for the service desk personnel -- service desk being the people performing the function not the tool OVSD.

You are correct in that if the issue is big enough, I may have to move my primary search field to Search Code. However, the Service Manager on the horizon - I have a feeling it may be more effort than I care to deal with and just chalk this up to a learning experience.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have been there before as well. Are you in a position to copy the name 1 value to the searchcode field anyway and then dealing with the non unique ones on a case by case basis slowly making searchcode the unique field?
Moxie
Regular Collector

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event