cancel

Customer Reponse into Service Desk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Anthony Dalferr
Honored Contributor.

Customer Reponse into Service Desk

We are trying to implement a closure process for our SD 4.5. I am a little confused as to how to get the information in a service call and have to call do what we want to do and I am in need of some guidance.

Here is the basic flow of how we want a service call to ask.

A ticket is closed by one of our technicians. The ticket is set to a “fixed/resolved” status.

An email needs to be generated to the “caller” asking them if the ticket has been actually resolved.

If the customer responds yes, the ticket is then set to a “closed” status.

If the customer responds no, the ticket needs to be reassigned back to the closing department and a check box needs to be checked stating that this call was reopened by the customer.

If the customer doesn’t respond to the email within 3 days, the call should be automatically set to a call status of “Closed”

I am really at a loss as to where to start this process implementation and could use some help. I think the big problem for me is what and how is the SC linked to the email and what email commands can I use to accomplish this. I know the commands of “solution accepted” and “Solution Rejected” are there but am unsure of how to use them correctly for our situation.

I have a diagram of the flow process if any one is interested in helping.

19 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Customer Reponse into Service Desk

Hi Anthony,

Post up the flow please. The easy part of this (which you probably know) is getting the details out of Openview in a mail. This is done via a DB rule with an action of Send E-Mail and in there you can define what details is sent to the user.

If the customer doesn't respond to the email within 3 days, the call should be automatically set to a call status of Closed

For this you could look at another DB rule with the condition if the call has not been modified within 3 days then to close it (but this would close all calls not modified so you would use the condition if status = fixed/resolved etc.)

You could specify different inbound e-mail addresses and assign a different template which could handle a yes or no reply.

Set up an inbound e-mail address of Noclosure@xxxx.com and Yesclosure@xxx.com
In the mail that is sent the user could have to be advised which mail address to reply to based on their situation and which command to use in the Subject field. The template can fill in fields for closure etc.

I haven't tried this to this extent but seems possible. It would be interesting to see other ways to do this.
Anthony Dalferr
Honored Contributor.

Here is the process flow. There are other things outside of this flow that do not affect the Tool so I didn't include them. More of a management of what to do when tickets aren't close correctly the first time. For right now, we are only allowing this to be for a particular workgroup called "ITCSC".

Hope this helps.
Anthony Dalferr
Honored Contributor.

Just wondering if anyone has an update on this? Still playing around and still getting lost.
JNM_2
Respected Contributor.

Anthony,

I had a client that had similar requirements and basically, I did the following:

1) Service Desk must be configured to receive inbound e-mail.

2)In the e-mail notification to the customer, you can include two "mailto" urls in the body of the e-mail. One mailto url will allow the customer to respond yes and will include "Solution Accepted "in the subject line. The other mailto url will allow the customer to respond no and will include "Solution Rejected " in the subject line. Make sure your e-mail software supports mailto urls. When the customer clicks on the mailto url, a e-mail message will be created with the correct syntax in the subject line to update the service call. The customer will have an opportunity to include any comments in the body of the e-mail message before sending the e-mail. There is a wealth of information on mailto command on the internet.

3) In the e-mail section of the System Panel for SD, you will need to configure both the Solution Accepted and the Solution Rejected E-mail commands to change the status (New Status) of the service call to either closed (for yes) or re-assign (for no).

I hope that gives you an idea..
Anthony Dalferr
Honored Contributor.

Ok, I am getting a little closer. Thanks for the help so far.

I am working on getting the DB Rule done first. Here is what I have so far

When service call is modified
where Status (*) equals Fixed/Resolved
AND Assignment;To workgroup;Parent (*) equals IT Customer Support Center
Closure Email (Send e-mail message) , Send to: [Caller;E-mail], Subject: You Service Call [ID] has been closed, Message: The service call you had opened on [Registration;Created] was closed on [Resolved Date] .

If the solution corrected your problem, pleas e click on the following link
mailto:yes@servicedesk?subject=Solution+Accepted+[ID]

If not, please click on the link below to have your call reopened
mailto:no@servicedesk?subject=Solution+Rejected+[ID]

Does this look right? I tried to click on the link in my email client, Lotus Notes, and didn't get the [ID]. I figured since the email that the client will actually be getting will contain the actually SC number so that won't be a problem. Right?

I will work on the other piece shortly.

Thanks again for all your help.
JNM_2
Respected Contributor.

Anthony,

You are correct! The database rule should insert the correct service call ID.

The e-mail address should be the e-mail address of the Service Desk server and should be the same for both yes and no responses.

Yes, you are on the right track!
Anthony Dalferr
Honored Contributor.

Oh. So, since we have an email address setup in our lotus notes address book called "servicecall" which is forwarded to our service desk server, in the mailto command, we should use ServiceCall@servicedesk?
Anthony Dalferr
Honored Contributor.

Ok, getting a lot closer now. The emails are now working. I am able to set a call to status fixed/resolved, generate an email to the client, have them respond to email and the actions for both accepted and rejected are working fine.

However, when someone uses the rejected solution, the status is changed to what I asked it to, but the "Resolved Date" field does not empty. This is a problem for service today. We use a filter for service today not to show any calls where the "Resolved Date" is not null. Is there a way that I can have the feild blanked during the email command?
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi,

maybe another approach to take is to set the service today filter to show calls where the status of the call is not equal to e.g. closed instead of using the date field.

This can be done by adding the following without quotes into the field box of the filter and typing the name of the status that you wat to filter on
"Status (Service Today);Text"

This would be a workaround. I don't know if it is possible for this to stop working some day with a new service pack and Hp to say that it was additional functionality but might be worth a look
Anthony Dalferr
Honored Contributor.

That is where the problem lies. Status is not an option to use as a filter. Since Status is not a shared component of every module of Service Desk, we can't use that filter. That is why we used Resolved Date.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Anthony,

as above, if you type the following into the filter instead of selecting the values available you get a selection of operators to use and in the value field you can type the value of the status e.g.

Status (Service Today);Text
Doesn't Contain
Closed

Which would filter out all the closed calls from the view provided that the service call status of closed exists.

Try it out and see what happens. I does work however I doubt that this is a supported feature.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

As attached
Anthony Dalferr
Honored Contributor.

Oh wow, I didn't know you could do that. I will give that a try. Is there a way you can add multiple to that?
Like closed;fixed?

Would that work?
Anthony Dalferr
Honored Contributor.

Nevermind, forgot you can add multiple filters.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Anthony,

add commas between the words and it should work.

Hats off to George who found this originally.
Anthony Dalferr
Honored Contributor.

You guys/gals are amazing. Thanks for all your help.

Also, is there a way to block the use of a status by Role? We want to only turn this on for a select group before we roll it out company wide.

Again, Thank you all.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

not by a rule directly as you can be a member of different roles at the same time.

However if the number of people in the role is not that big you could look at a DB rule as follows and set the values fo rwhich the users can use for status

Be sure to modify the And compaoun and change it to OR and then add the criterion

After an item has been opened
where NOT (Entered by person equals John Doe)
OR NOT (Entered by person equals Jane Doe)
Test (Limit field value range) Status equals Registered;In Progress;Waiting;
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

sorry, (typo) its not a DB rule that limits the values its a UI rule.
Anthony Dalferr
Honored Contributor.

It looks like all is working great now. At least I hope it is in the eyes of my management. Thanks everyone for their help.