Custom field DB&UI rules references

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Dan Ioan
Honored Contributor.

Custom field DB&UI rules references

Hi friends,
Trying to interchange two custom fields meaning for a person, I want to check if each of these are referenced by a DB or UI rule to avoid to alter them.
How could I do this? Using Check References facility in Admin Console (SD4.5 SP15)it takes a lot of time and generates thousands of lines!
Many thanks in advance.
Dan
3 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Custom field DB&UI rules references

Hi Dan,

I know of no simple way in the tool and do not have any SQL to do it, but in the past I have used the following appraoch:

In v4.5 do a print preview of rules and publish to an html file. Open that file using MS Word and use the find facility to check for any references. You have to do for all relevant item types and for DB and UI but it is still safer than checking manually.

In v5, no publish but you can select all, copy/paste to a word document and then search.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Dan Ioan
Honored Contributor.

Hi Ruth,
Thanks for this amazing idea!
Kind regards,
Dan
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Dan,

I think everyone has the same problem you do in trying to maintain the rules, and making sure that changing something else does not break them.

We use the same idea as Ruth's, and then import the data into an Excel spreadsheet. I transform the data a little so that with autofilter I can easily see which fields are used in the trigger criteria of rules, and which fields are changed by rules. Its more work to maintain this documentation, but we save a huge amount of time once it is in place.

-Josh