The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Shortcut bar (SD 4.5)

Highlighted
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Custom Shortcut bar (SD 4.5)

Hi,

I'm running SD4.5 SP17.

This is probably a really basic quetion but, I don't know how to do it so.....

I am going to implement folders to split the access to SD items into two.

Firstly I want the two sets of users to have a different default Shortcut bar. So the question is how do I create and distribute them?

Secondly, how can I change the icons used in the Shortcut bar. For instance I want to use the approvalok.ico as the link in the shortcut bar to the Person module in place of the Contact.ico

The icons I am refering to are all in C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\client\images That's the default install path.
5 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Re: Custom Shortcut bar (SD 4.5)

Hi Peter,

When you create a shortcut bar using Tools>system>Presentation>Shortcut Bar the shortcut bar you have create is not distributed automatically.
The shortcut bar definition is stored in the Service Desk repository folder. To distribute it, send the file, ShortcutBar.DAT to all users asking them to place the file in the right folder. To make the shortcut bar available automatically to all users, the repository folder should be a shared network drive. However, before you share the repository folder, remember that whenever a user changes the shortcut bar, the userâ s changed shortcut bar will prevail over the standard shortcut bar. If the user modified the shortcut bar, the shortcut bar definition in the personal profile folder should be deleted to return to the standard shortcut bar.
The expected locations for the ShortcutBar.DAT file are:
Standard shortcut bar \repo in the Service Desk root folder.
User shortcut bar \Application Data\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Service Desk in the user's personal profile folder.

Hope that helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Ruth,

Thanks for that, it explains how to create a shorcut bar and distribute it to the users. I suppose the next question would be :

Can you prevent users from customising the Shortcut Bar.

Also, have you an ideas about the second part of the original question?

i.e. How can I use a different icon in the Shortcut bar to activate the Person module, for instance?

Thanks.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Peter,

To disable shortcut bar customization, go to role definition at tab [Customization] and clear "Define Shortcuts Allowed" and "Define Shortcut Groups Allowed".

Remember in role inclusion you give the role the most permissive access that is allowed by the included roles
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Thanks George,

OK, that will top them amending the distributed shortcut bar.

Any idea's on the 2nd part about using a different icon?
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

In Tools>system>Presentation>Icons you can alter the icon for an object but I think this will applied for everyone.

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event