SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Custom Fields question?

Hi,

I'm running SD 4.5 on SP17.

When creating new forms using the forms designer I frequently need a custom field which I have not yet created. So I have to quit the form designer, saving what I've done so far and go to the Custom Fileds module.

There I activate the type of field required, change the name, save it and go back to the form designer again to put the field on the form.

After doing this a few times, I thought why not just activate ALL the fields in one go in Custom Fields, that way I can apply any field to a form whenever I need it and I can rename it on the form at the same time?

Would this introduce any unecessary overhead in the client or the DB?

Is there some other reason that this shouldn't be done?

In SP 17 you have limited custom fields remember.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES
Arjan Koning
Super Contributor.
Solution

Re: Custom Fields question?

All the activated fields will be available in the views and advanced find...
For the users it will be annoying, I guess.

Arjan
Alok Shrotri
Honored Contributor.

Hi Peter,

Be careful if you are working on a system which is there since long.

Suppose X custom field was used back some time. X was a required field.

Later on X was not required some time later and removed from the forms and blocked. Most of the people will miss out removing X from required fields.

Now if you activate this field, it will ask for the value for this fields when you update the record. But you do not have it on the form. You need to remove it from the required fields to avoid the error.

My mind only goes this far. I hope it helps you.

Cheers,
Alok Shrotri
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Peter,

I would agree with the other two responses and would basically advise not doing this.

I find it hard to believe that you are creating custom fields at such a rate that this is a really serious issue.

I would also recommend that you should only be adding custom fields after you have analysed the requirements which should mean that you know what custom fields you need bfore you goto design the form.

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

just a follow on when I deactiviate a field I find its original name from the form designer and rename it back to that and then deactivate - e.g. set the field back to cicode15 - that way I know its free to use in the future.
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Mark,

I already do this, its a very good idea otherwise you don't know where you are.

Ruth,

Its not a serious problem just very annoying to have to keep going out and back in again. I see your point about knowing in advance but, the people who put in the change requests for new forms etc, know nothing about how HPOV works, or the restrictions that it imposes by limiting the numbers of custom fields. So to try to accommodate all requirements I constantly find myself juggling with Date fields, Text fields, Boolean fields, swapping them around, asking if that field really has to be a Date field or will a text box do? etc.

So I do know what they want but its more a case of what can be delivered.