Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Custom Fields - Enabling Category

Highlighted
Woodsy
Respected Contributor.

Custom Fields - Enabling Category

Hi All,

I'd like to know where the category is set for enabling custom fields. For example: I create a custom field and you can enable it for a particular category. In this case it is a change field and the default category on my site is the field "change category". I'd like to change it so the new custom field is enabled according to the "status" of the change.
I hope this isn't too confusing.

Environment is SD4.5 SP12

Cheers,

Allan
11 REPLIES
Ramaprasad N
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Custom Fields - Enabling Category

Hi,

The category for custom field is set at the same place where we create the custom fields. However, if this custom field should be enabled for only few of the status', then use the 'Required fields' option (Hope it's Admin Console --> Security --> Prevention --> Required fields).
Ramaprasad N
Outstanding Contributor.

A custom field can be enabled for required categoried from the place where we create custom fields (Admin Console --> Data --> Custom fields). These fields can be enabled for a particular Status using Required fields functionality (Admin Console --> Security --> Prevention --> Required Fields).
Woodsy
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Ramprasad, however this isn't what I'm after. The required fields only makes the fields mandatory for a particular status.

What I'm trying to do is enable a field for a particular status. Currently, when I create a custom field, the option I have is to enable the field for a particular category.

I know it sounds a bit complicated.

Rgds,

Allan
Ramaprasad N
Outstanding Contributor.

You can make any attribute mandatory for a particular category, using UI rules. OVSD provides OOB solution only for enabling required fields based on Status'.

The UI rule could be like - before an item is saved, when the category equals somthing and the 'required field' is empty, then configure user notification message indicating that the 'required field' shouldn't be empty.
Woodsy
Respected Contributor.

Thanks again, but what I'm after is to enable a field for a particular status, NOT make it mandatory. i.e. I only want the technician to be able to update the field for a particular status (e.g. Post Implementation Review)

Allan
Ramaprasad N
Outstanding Contributor.

OK, Sorry for the confusions above. I am not aware of any OVSD OOB feature to achieve this functionality. Again, I can suggest a UI Rule (Alert), when something is entered in to a field, which is not valid on the current status.
Woodsy
Respected Contributor.

No problem. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.
Allan
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

I tried to find out about this too before. and I'm afraid Ramaprasad is true.

I am new anyway here. probably someone have successfull doing this ?
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Allan,

I think that this functionality will be available with the ner version 5 of OVSD but not with the current version OOB. Thats not much help though. We have some fields similar and had to just make them required for certain status to get around the limitation.

Have you loked at using UI rules option to limit field values when an item is e.g. opened?
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Allan,

I think that this functionality will be available with the ner version 5 of OVSD but not with the current version OOB. Thats not much help though. We have some fields similar and had to just make them required for certain status to get around the limitation.

Have you loked at using UI rules option to limit field values when an item is e.g. opened?

e.g. limit field value when status not = to Post Implementation Review
Woodsy
Respected Contributor.

Many thanks to all that responded. I've put in a UI rule. Not exactly what I wanted, but the efect is there. A workaround I guess in ITIL speak.

Happy holidays if you are having one.

Cheers from Australia!!! Come and visit sometime. I work in tourism! :)

Allan