Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Custom Field is Greyed out

Highlighted
Shanker_2
Respected Contributor.

Custom Field is Greyed out

Hi
I created a custom field its a text field such as PROJECT TITLE in work order. I could see the field in the form but its greyed out. I need the field filled by the user who is creating new workder. I am using SD4.5 SP19.

Please help.

Thanks

Shanker
4 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Custom Field is Greyed out

Hello Shanker,

When creating a custom field you must also enable it. Custom fields can be enabled to a list of categories all to all categories. Go to Data/Custom Fields/Workorder and locate your custom field. Double click it to open and check "Activate" and check whether you want to be enabled for All Categories or for a list of categories.
menes fhtagn
Shanker_2
Respected Contributor.

I activated the field but still the field is greyed out. I cannot anything in that field.
Is something else I am missing?
John Chalker
Valued Contributor.

Make sure the proper role has Write access to the field.

Admin Consloe/Security/Access/Role

Double click on the role then choose the item (ie Change). Click Advanced, find the field in the Field tab, click the field then click the Write button on the right side.

Good Luck

:)
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Shanker,

I will try to make a list of all the reasons why a field might be greyed out, at the risk of repeating some of the information already provided :

1. It is an inactive custom field. SOlution - activate the field.
2. It is a custom field not active for the current category. SOlution - activate the field for all categories, or for the desired category.
3. The current user has only view rights to that field. Solution - give Write rights to the role concerned for the field.
4. The current user has only view rights to that item. Solution - give Modify rights to the role concerned in the Folder concerned.
5. The field is a hierarchical code list which, by its nature, has a grey background. Solution - RTFM.

Good luck,
Josh