Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Date defaults to yesterday

Highlighted
Colleen Talbert
Collector

Custom Date defaults to yesterday

I have searched the templates and everything I can think to figure out why this is happening, but when users try to select today's date for one of our custom date fields in Problem, it populates with yesterday's date. If we choose tomorrow, it populates today - it's always a day behind. I checked the time zones, too and they match. The template doesn't have any defaults for this field, nor are there any UI rules. Can someone help me figure out where to look next?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES

Re: Custom Date defaults to yesterday

check the time zone of the server. daylight savings could be the problem

Lawrence
we have been where you wanna go..
Colleen Talbert
Collector

We are on Central Standard Time and so is the server. The server has the box for "adjust for Daylight Savings time" checked. Is this the problem? Does SD account for DST?

Thanks,
Colleen

central standard time = GMT -6 (chicago time)
is that correct for you?
Have you checked that the client has also this time in the interface?
try to look up the time in the Db and check if there he mentions the correct time. Then you will knoy if the problem comes from the client or the DB..

Lawrence
we have been where you wanna go..
Gyula Matics_1
Honored Contributor

What version are you on? There used to be a probelem where some date fields were populated with values that were lower than the chosen date by the time zone offset. This was fixed around sp12-13.
Colleen Talbert
Collector

That very well could be the case. We are on SP11. Everything else, all the servers involved, all the client workstations are all on the same time zone and recognize DST. Is there a white paper or anything on this?
Colleen Talbert
Collector

Actually, I don't think the database could be the culprit because this happens before I even save it. As soon as I click on a date in the calendar window, the date field populates with one day prior. I would think it has to be something within the application. Any thoughts?
Anda Apine

It is jus a guess, but check date format in client side. What date display format you have chosen for this custom field and what date display format is set on client side? Do they mach?
Is incorrect date is stored to database too or just appears in client interface?
If you select today's date - it shows yesterday, but what value it stores in database if you save it? There will be difference in hours between client and database.
Please give an example with date display formats and values in client and database.

Anda
AngieP
Regular Collector

Hi Colleen - Welcome Back !!
I think we last spoke in 2003.

The problem you described sounds similar to what we have in our environment and for us it is a known problem. When we do Advanced Find, and Select "registration created ON", the day it lists is always 1 day behind, but the results are as expected.

Refer to this doc. ITSM005448

Angie
Colleen Talbert
Collector

My boss confirmed that they had this problem before with this SP. Long story, but the SP appears to be the problem.

And, thanks Angie, good to be back! But I have to relearn almost everything!

Thanks everyone!
Colleen
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event