Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Current person, to get the other information

Highlighted
Leep
Respected Contributor.

Current person, to get the other information

Hi!
If I create a filed and use UI to set this field = Current Person, I will get the person's name who logged on. But is it possible to get other information (other fileds in Person module)about this person? for example, organization, location, e-mail, etc.

Thanks,
Lee
10 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Current person, to get the other information

Hi
Use before created field("set this field = Current Person") and create the rule where using Concatenate function for collect this information about Person.

Vasily
Michel SILVA SO
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Lee,
if you are using SD 4.5 SP18 or above you can create a new CustomField EntityReference based on Person.

When populating this field with "Current Person" you are than able to access all information of that person.

Hope this helps,
Rgds,
Michel.
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Lee,

You can set under the Search rubric in the admin console the various fields that will be displayed either with Quick View or permanently under the person field, including that person's organization, location, email, etc.

-Josh
Leep
Respected Contributor.

Hi, many thanks for the help I got.

Sorry, I forget to metion this field I need is under the form Service Call, so I need it within Service Call. SD we use is 4.5 SP 17.

If I create such a field, I can not see it in Service Call form? or have I missed someting?

Many thanks,
Lee
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Lee,

After you create the custom field, you must open the form in the admin console and add the field to that form.

By the way, I am curious to know why you want to do this. Each user of OVSD will always see his or her own email, organization, location, etc. What are you trying to achieve by that?

-Josh
Michel SILVA SO
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Lee,

with SP 17 you cannot create such a (Custom) field. You have to upgrade to at lease SP 18 to create a Custom Field (Entity Reference) on the Service Call based on Person. And then it works. Look Attachment.

But could you explain more deeply the purpose of the field... what you want to achieve. May be another solution can be found.

Rgds,
Michel
Leep
Respected Contributor.

Hi!
Here come details what I want to achive:
we want to do a time registration report, the normal way you can do is to do this in Service Call => History, type in spent time, etc... Now our users say it is too complicated, too many steps, :-)

What I want to do is:
to create several fields in the Service Call form: Spent_time, When_they_do_this_work, Who (so far it is only Current Person). I also want catch some information about Current Person, for example Organization, Location, etc (here is my question).

Next step I will create a DB rule to save all such information to History part, Spent_time is saved in History;Spent time (I am not sure how to do this, I got advice from Ruth that sd_event is a possible solution http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1097862&admit=-682735245+1171288307380+28353475),
the field When_they_do_this_work is saved to History;Information

So in short I want to collect such information in one place. What do you think? Is it reasonable? or out of track?

Regards,
Lee
Michel SILVA SO
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Lee,
what you are trying to do is more to know how many time the user had opened the Service Call and not really time he/she spent working on it.

Our users fill manually a duration field. Which makes our statistics more credible.

If a user opens the S.C. and go for lunch... the ticket stays open but this does not means he/she worked really on it. Be carrefull with such automations!

;o)

Rgds,
Michel
Leep
Respected Contributor.

Hi!
What I am trying to do is to create a small area so that support persons can enter their spent hours:
Red: is a field with Date format, sysdate will be deafault, but it can be changed, support persons enter when they did this work

Blue: what work support persons have done.

Green: is spent hours, can be entered manually

Black: is used to catch support person's informatio, such as organization, etc for out charging. I guess the problem here it should be a cust. field with (person), but I have no one left, :-(, just figure out, or am not sure.

Then a DB rule will save all these into History. In our case, it will happen that different persons work on the same SC, no matter how it is right or not....

Also, I am lazy, for the Black, I try to put such information together, then it is easier to do a report.

So the background of the whole work is to make life easier for support person. Not sure it will do...
Michel SILVA SO
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Lee,
My suggestion is to upgrade to SP 18 and then you will be able to create NEW Custom Field and get this information...

The other way arround is to use WEB-API.

So no other convinient solution at this point the the two I suggest above: Web-Api or SP18 or higher...

Normaly it is usual to give some points for the answers people give you.

Have a nice evening.

Rgds,
Michel