Did you mean: 

Creating unique person records.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jeff.Alleman
Collector

Creating unique person records.

As with CI creation I would like to set the Person Search code so that a new record can not use the same Search code as one already in the DB.
Is there a way to do this in SD 4.5 SP 18?

Thanks,
Jeff
8 REPLIES
Terry A. Moir
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Creating unique person records.

We initially had thoughts along the same line - however in retrospect we're glad we didn't. As it turns out, over time it is possible our organization would use the same search code (which is our LAN log-in ID). We now use the Person Source ID which is keyed to a unique employee number in or organization (and is used for automated data exchange purposes)as a unique ID. Also, in setting Search Code standards, we now need to consider external people with the same names.

All to say, your situation may be different but think carefully on trying to implement unique Search Codes for people (which can't be set as a unique field in Service Desk). Likely the best you could do is create an overview action if the Search Code already exists.

Terry
Dan Ioan
Frequent Visitor

Hi Jeff,

We have been facing with same problem regarding search code for person due to the fact that this field is not unique in SD. The simpliest way is to choose a naming convention for a search code, taking the first 4 letters from first name and first letter from last name for example. If you have more than than one person with same name (John Doe) your search codes will be: JOHND1, JOHND2, and so on. When you have to record a new person, just search for string JOHND and add the next digit if is necessary.
This method works fine, especially for those people which are working in your organization but don't have an employee ID(service providers, consultans, etc).
Hope this helps you somehow.

Regards,

Dan
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Jeff,

I've been trying to do exactly the same thing and came to the conclusion that I can't make Search code unique, so, I went for a solution to highlight the fact that the Search code being used was already in use.

This means its down to the operator to use a different Search code rather than forcing uniqueness through the system.

Anyway, see this thread which shows how to create a rule which is triggered when a new Person form is used and and the Search code field is changed, (i.e. somebody types in a Search code). The rule then kicks off a Smart Action which picks up that Search code and shows a list of records, (if any) that already have that Search code.

At this point the operator would know the Search code is in use (if a record is listed) and use a different Search code.

I can post screen shots of the final results if you would like, (UI rule and Smart Action).

Let me know.
Jeff.Alleman
Collector

Thanks all for your help.

Dan,

We currently use that format but if people don't search effectively (ie typo) the search code is duplicated.

Peter,
I would like to take a look at your results.
Also the syntax for the smart action would be helpful.
Anda Apine

Hello,

Solution Peter is talking about:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1041528

I did it for our environmet too - it is working!

Anda
Jeff.Alleman
Collector

I am able to run it from a cmd line but when I run it from within the new person form as a smart action it fails and says that it can't find the file.

I was attempting to use the sd_dataform.bat but I keep getting errors.

We just performed our update to SP18 from SP9 and I don't remember seeing sd_dataform before so this is new to me.

Anda Apine

Try to change Start in folder in Service Desk application list - see attachment.

enter: "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\client\bin"

is it working now?
Jeff.Alleman
Collector

Anda,
Worked like a charm.

Peter,
Thanks for laying all the ground work out.

Have a great day.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event