The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating new Service Calls with data exchange

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
AndrewB
Regular Collector

Creating new Service Calls with data exchange

Hello all,

I am currently experiencing some data exchange issues and hoping for some help. We are using 5.1. My situation is:
- 300 records in an Excel spreadsheet to be imported as 300 separate service calls.
- Each service call has a unique CI.
- The CI is set as the primary key in the import mapping
The issue is that the new service calls are created but the CI field remains blank. I have double checked that the CI’s exist in my CMDB and the seachcodes in fact work manually. No extra spaces or anything silly like that. Any ideas? Anyone?

Thanks in advance…Andrew
4 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Re: Creating new Service Calls with data exchange

Hi Andrew,

Please post details of the import mapping etc that you are using.

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
AndrewB
Regular Collector

A little more digging has revealed the real problem and what the real question should be. Some of the odd behaviour was because of missing CIâ s. When we cleaned up the import data, we found that what was happening was that the import was *updating* and existing ticket that had the same CI â as the CI was set as the primary key. Duh!

So the real question becomes, since you always have to set a primary key, how do you force the creation of a new Service Call? My only thought so far is to create a custom field, populate it with a large random number, and make that the primary key.
Any thoughts??

Thanksâ ¦Andrew
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Andrew,

To force creation, you do indeed need a unique primary key: the OOTB field Source ID can be used for this and you could just use the row number in the spreadsheet concatenated with some string as a simple way of doing this.

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
AndrewB
Regular Collector

Hi Ruth,

SourceID worked beautifully! We put a RAND() function into the spreadsheet and set it as the primary key. A little kludgy but it did the trick. Thanks for your help.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event