Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Creating a mandatory field when closing a HPSD call.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Andrew H-C
Trusted Contributor.

Creating a mandatory field when closing a HPSD call.

I want to make the "assigned to person field" a mandatory field when closing a HPSD call. In the admin console I clicked on prevention, required field and chose Assignment, to person, required for the following status, ticked. closed. The error came up "you are not allowed to view this status or this may have been deleted by another user."

Can anyone explain why this error came up or what I can do as a workaround?
7 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Creating a mandatory field when closing a HPSD call.

Hi there,

I think there may be an issue with the fact that Assignment is a separate entity available on all the workflow objects.

It may be safer to user a UI rule on saving a SC:

When SC is saved,
Condition: Ass to person is empty and Status is Closed
Action: user notification of type error

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

for those tyoe for rules I use a UI rule as it works fine. The rule that Ruth pisted will do the job.
Andrew H-C
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Ruth and Mark

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. This solution works well for reminding people to fill in the required field, but if someone chooses to ignore the message they can still close the service call without filling in the required field.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi,

not if you use an error type user notification within a UI rule that is set to fire On Save.

if you set thie error type notification (you get to choose this when populating the text of the user notification) the user must fill a value in the field or they cannot save the call.

It works very well for enforcing fields to be completed and is very flexible due to the conditions that you can use in the UI rule
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Andrew,

The key here is that the user notification MUST of type error; then the save will not go ahead until they put in an Ass to person or select a different status - which is (as I understand it) exactly what you want.

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Andrew H-C
Trusted Contributor.

I have just tried this and it works brilliantly. Thank you very much!!
Andrew H-C
Trusted Contributor.

A great result and a quick response.

Thank you.

Andrew