cancel

Creating Service Call through e-mail

Highlighted
Yousef Jamous
Respected Contributor.

Creating Service Call through e-mail

Hi.
I've OVSD 4.5 with SP24.
I've created an in bound e-mail address to create SC through e-mail. I've associated this e-mail with proper template.

When I send to the specified e-mail address, a new service call is created. But this service call is not created with the values that I have specified in the template.

Do I have to create any DB rules in addition to what I did?
Will you please advice?
12 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Creating Service Call through e-mail

Hi there,
Can you give a few more details? You say "service call is not created with the values that I have specified in the template" - which details are not as specified? Could you post details of the template and the call that results.

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Frans_F
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yousef,

As Ruth already stated more details can determine what maybe wrong.

The first test you can do is open the call just created and look at the top what the template name is that was used to create the item. This to make sure you are indeed working with the template that you think you are working with.

The next thing is to understand that even when the 'correct' template is used it is only using the values in there when no other values are provided via email. Some fields like description , information , impact and priority can not be set via the template but will always be filled by the e-mail. Other fields maybe filled by (UI or) DB rules overwriting any template values that may have been used initially. Also due to workflow logic fields like service maybe filled in.
HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Yousef Jamous
Respected Contributor.

Everyone
Thanks for trying to help.I'm attaching the screen shots.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

I cannot open your zip - could you just post ypur screen shots into a word doc and attach that?

Regards, Ruth
Yousef Jamous
Respected Contributor.

I have done as requested
Hope it works this time
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

Thanks - I could see them this time.

There are 2 likely causes:

1. The template is not being used - your screen shot did not include the template area - you should be able to see which template was used. See attached.

2. There is business logic (rules) which are overwriting the template values.

Hope this helps, Ruth

Eng.NM
Honored Contributor.

hello Yousef

create a new template from scratch and try to use it, if it didnt work so there may be DB/UI rules that force the calls to be created with specific settings other than the one in your template, if you have the "medium" field in ur Service call then dont forget to set it to "web" or "email" (in case u have this field)

hope this could help
Yousef Jamous
Respected Contributor.

Thanks all for replying
I'm attaching the template the shows up.

I really don't know why this is picked up though in the DB rules I'm very specific on my template.

Can someone please explain to me the steps of how OVSD deals with e-mail SC? This might help me to dubug faster!

Also, do I need to check DB rules only or both DB and UI Rules?
Yousef Jamous
Respected Contributor.

By the way
this is the DB Rule that I think is associated with the template that I don't want

hen service call is created
where Status (*) equals Registered
AND Description (*) contains IT-General
AND Medium (*) equals E-mail
Assign to IT helpdesk for email call creation (Update Data) Assignment;To workgroup set to IT Helpdesk (1st Line support)

The DB Rule I'm using:

When service call is created
where Status (*) equals Registered
AND Description (*) contains RTAD-eMail
AND Medium (*) equals E-mail
AND Service Domain (*) equals RealTime AssistDesk
Assign to RealTime AssistDesk for email call creation (Update Data) Assignment;To workgroup set to RealTime AssistDesk Agents

Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

Some general points:

When a new call is created from an email, the template used is the one defined as the one to be used for a specific inbound email address. Then the subject of the email goes into Description and the body into the Information field. All other fields are taken from trhe template (unless you are using version 4.5 with a later SP and have selected the option to allow update fields in New).

Only DB rules will affect calls generated by email.

Your condition for the dB rule can be:

When SC is created
If Template = inbound email AND Description contains RTAD-eMail

Hope this helps, Ruth

PS dont forget the points
Yousef Jamous
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Ruth for your answer.
One question, should I put this rule under SC DB rules or e-Mail Service Call?

Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

I think you can put the rule under either SC DB rules or e-Mail Service Call - it is just when you update you must ensure you update the SC record.

Hope this helps, Ruth