Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Create and/or update Work Order from inbound email

Highlighted
Cory Chapman
Valued Contributor.

Create and/or update Work Order from inbound email

I am working with OV-SD 4.5 (SP 12). Can we create and update Work Orders by email (which we are currently doing with Service Calls).

If possible, how is it done?

Thanks,

Cory
5 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Create and/or update Work Order from inbound email

Hello Cory,

You can't do that by the means of OVSD 4.5.

However it is not impossible using an email server, sd_event and procmail like rules.
menes fhtagn
Cory Chapman
Valued Contributor.

I'm sorry - I should have elaborated more. We are using an email server - Exchange 2003. We are an Active Directory environment, with numerous OU's. I have setup two email addresses in Exchange - which are the "inbound email" sources for OV-SD. Both of the addresses are capable of opening new Serice Call tickets (one is from a web-based ticket submission site, the other, a direct email out of our GAL).

I am not sure what a "sd_event" and "procmail" are.

Any further assistance you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Cory
Mohammed Albust
Honored Contributor.

I think inbound emails can create, update and recall only service calls. this feature does not support workorders.
Jonathon Druce
Acclaimed Contributor.

What George is refering to is a facility that is instaled as part of the "event' component that allows you to create, edit or delete any item type in Service desk. This is called sd_event. He is suggesting that you could trap an email and then extract the relevant info and fire sd_event to insert the work order. I have no experience with procmail but can help with sd_event if you go that way.

Also to confirm incoming email to the sd app server can only create and update Service Calls.
Cory Chapman
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for the responses. I went back and did some more research, and my management might be looking at this backwards.

The long and short of it:
My organization has never used "Work Orders" in OVSD, until just recently. Management wanted immediate visiblity, and ease of reporting/report viewing, so they had a SharePoint Portal developed to create, modify and track Work Orders, while providing multiple types of reports (calendar, GANT, Priority/closure status, WO per tech, ...you get the idea). The Portal was set up to exactly replicate the data fields in OVSD Work Orders.

Managements idea was to manage the Portal version of "Work Orders" manually. When these Work Orders are created / updated /modified, the Portal sends an email to the creator of the Work Order, the Tech Team, and to OVSD. When OVSD receives the email, it creates a new Work Order (just like it does with Service Call tickets).

Mangement really likes their "calendar" view status updates, and they can view them from any of the network nodes (on other software necessary than IE). As such, they are not interested in letting go of their Portal access.

With this in mind, I am wondering if it might be better to do an "export" from OVSD of all Work Orders (regular data dumps, or managed or scheduled data export). I have gone through several of the manuals, and can only find export from outside source with and import to OVSD, not the other way around - export from OVSD (ie: XML). Is this possible?

Thanks again for your help