Create a new mandatory field in SD 5.1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Miles Peregrine
Respected Contributor.

Create a new mandatory field in SD 5.1

Hi,

can someone tell me how to create a mandatory field in organization table. In presentation/forms to add a new field this I know, but how to make it mandatory.

Best regards,

Miles*
13 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Create a new mandatory field in SD 5.1

Hi Miles,

I am using 5.0 SP1 and in there, you go OV Configuration>Data>Required fields>organization, select the field you want to be mandatory and select the Required box. If you want it always required that is all you need to do; if conditionally required, add the condition.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Miles Peregrine
Respected Contributor.

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the quick and perfect answer. Still have one more question.In SD 5.1 form designer is a little bit different, than in 5.0. How do I create in Organization table or any other table a completly new field with also a completly new attribute.If I choose a field for example Name2, when create a new field with this name and rename it, than also the other Name2 field gtes a capture label with the name that I renamed. I don't want to do this, I would like to create a completly new field. I hope I explained to you in un understandable way.
Thanks,
Regards,
Miles*
Miles Peregrine
Respected Contributor.

I would like to add an attribute in the left white workspace.Please find the attachment.

Miles*
JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Milan,

In SD 5.10, you do not have unlimited custom fields like in one of the new SP in SD 4.5.
You are given fixed numbers of custom fields of different types like in the old SP on sd 4.5.
You select the custom field type that you want, rename it and activate it, chuck it in the form and make it mandatory.
You cannot create a brand new custom field out of thin air like in sd 4.5 with the newer SP.
Note: the more custom fields you used, the more your performance will be affected.
Miles Peregrine
Respected Contributor.

can you describe a workaround please, like Ruth did above. I surrely will give you some points than.
Thxs,
Miles*
JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi miles,

I just tried in sd 5.10. I rename the new organisation text 1 to jas custom field. Activate it, and tick available in all categories (maybe u didn't enable all categories).
Make it a required field.
Go to the organisation form and I see "jas custom field" in the left white workspace.
Miles Peregrine
Respected Contributor.

Ok, but you renamed an existing attribute so it appeared as jas custom field?
Miles*
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Miles,

As far as I know, 5.1 is supposed to give the same functionality as 4.5 SP17 and unlimited custom fields was introduced in sP18.

So I do not think that you can any new custom fields only activate the ones offered when you use Data>custom fields.

As I do not have 5.1 yet I cannot check this.

Hope this helps

Ruth
JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.

You cannot add new fields in the left side white workspace of the organisation form that do not come from EXISTING custom field. As mentioned previously, use EXISTING custom field, renamed them and activate them and they will then appear on the left side white workspace so you can then add it to the form.
Miles Peregrine
Respected Contributor.

Thanks, for a good advice, I thought so, there is no chance to add a completly new attribute fo a new field. One more question: Does the existing field that I renamed, which appears in the left workspace to choose. does it appear in every worspace even on different forms that I would like to create a new field?
Thxs,
Miles*
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi Miles,

Once you have activated a custom field on an object type, it is available for all forms, views, rules etc which apply to the item type.

Hope this helps

Ruth

(it is usual to give some points if an answer has helped)
Miles Peregrine
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Ruth,

sorry for not giving you some points in advance.

Best regards,

Miles*
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

No problem - thankyou