Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Create a CI relation to Locations

Highlighted
William Gillin
Frequent Contributor.

Create a CI relation to Locations

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere. I've searched but didn't find enough info to answer my question.

We are running SD 4.5 SP 22.

We want to create a relation for CI's to Locations similar to the way CI Orgs or CI Users is done (one to many with Add / Relate / Unrelate buttons).

The purpose is to track which locations use particular pieces of software.

I appreciate your time.
4 REPLIES
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Create a CI relation to Locations

You may be able to use Generic Relations...but I don't know if they can be used with Locations. No doubt someone on the forum will know this.

Alternatively, create a CI record for each Location, then you can relate other CI's to multiple Location CI's with a specific new relation type. THis has the added advantage that you can then create custom fields on the Location CI to store more structured information about a Location than you can on the Location record itself.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
William Gillin
Frequent Contributor.

Ken,

Thanks for the response. I've looked at Generic relations and we do that now relating SC's to other SC's. I was hoping for something a bit more streamlined like the CI Orgs.

I hadn't thought about creating a Location CI. My first thought is that I wouldn't want those to be options for being selected for SC's, etc. Have to give some more thought though.

Again, thanks.
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

yes, you can't prevent them being visible in CI lists etc. But we just have a UI rule on SC / IN / PR / CH CI field which tests the CI Category and if it's a Location CI, clear the field and pop up an error message (Before Save UI User Notification). Works well...but then we also have a specific requirement to store a lot of information about a site and a CI was the best way to do that. (Or use a special type of Person record).
What we've also done is create a new extended CI Custom field on SC, IN,and CR called "Site", and this allows users to enter the call/change location into the record.
Good luck ....
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
William Gillin
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks Ken. That gives us an option to consider.