cancel

Count for Items Related to a Problem Record

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Carrie L Ellswo
Super Contributor.

Count for Items Related to a Problem Record

Is there a setting, or rule that can be created to be able to instantly count the number if items related to a specific Problem?

I would like to be able to create a custom field and apply rules to be able to populate a count of all the items related to the Problem. I have tried & tried unsuccessfully to get it to work.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES
Carrie L Ellswo
Super Contributor.

Re: Count for Items Related to a Problem Record

I'm on SD4.5 SP11... Or if there are any Explorer view settings that I'm missing for Problem. I have a view that has the relations, but can't get the count specifically to show.
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Carrie,

I do not think an explorer view will, in and or itself, show the count of items in the leaves. However, if the view you use in the leaf groups all items together, then you will see the count for the group.

None of this will help you to populate a field in the problem record. I am not sure that this can be done, unless you call a script via a rule that runs some SQL which returns the count.

-Josh
Van der Vennet
Honored Contributor.

Hi Carrie,

Why don't you create a custum number field in problem. For example related Service Calls.
Create a DB rule that when a service call is created or modified where xxx then update data (choose related items) and update the custom field with 1.
do the same for the other possible relations (changes / incidents / work orders /..).
Now if you have done this for all possible relations and at the end you have to add one field which you call all relations. Create a rule that counts all custom number fields (created ones) you should instantly see how many relations you have from one problem..

Make sure that in the templates for the problems the created numbers are set to to 0 if they have the empty value the rules will not work...

SP18 will allow you certainly to create all the fields that you would like.

Lawrence
we have been where you wanna go..
Carrie L Ellswo
Super Contributor.

I think I just found the answer to my problem. I have an explorer view that uses the Service Event Relations to show my related Service Calls and Incidents to a Problem. I just changed the Service Event Relations view to have a "Group By" field by "Item type" and it gives me what I'm looking for at the simplest way to go about it.

Thanks all!
Carrie L Ellswo
Super Contributor.

Josh, you lead me in the generally direction, Thank you....

Lawrence you suggestion was great, but I was struggling with the same think yesterday... I could follow what you said more specifically and also get the count. Thank you!