cancel

Copy field values to related WOs when creating a Change via template

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
David Iannucci
Respected Contributor.

Copy field values to related WOs when creating a Change via template

As so often happens, I tried to search this forum to see if I could get any clues to my problem, but all the search terms I could think of using were not sufficient to get me a useful result, so I'm posting again (on something that I'm sure has been asked before). I'm on SD 4.5 SP 17.

I've got a template which creates a Change. Within that template I relate several work order templates, to create and link in these WO records. What I want to do is write a DB rule that will copy certain fields (e.g. Priority and Deadline) from the Change to the associated WOs. Note that I'm creating the relation simply through templates - not actions, etc. The latter seem too messy to me and I'd rather avoid them unless I have no choice. The rule creation app doesn't want to allow this (at least not for these fields).

For example, when I try to create a Change rule to set the WO Priority to the same as the Change's (using "Select a related item?" and then choosing "Work orders", I am only allowed to select Project;Priority as an "attribute" value to set my WO;Priorities to. There is no Change;Priority available. I can't even figure out what Projects have to do with this.

This seems like a straightforward thing one would want to do. Can someone give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong, or why it can't be done?

Thanks,
Dave
Don't believe everything you think.
3 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Copy field values to related WOs when creating a Change via template

HI Devid.
You wrong, beacuse Update WO;Priority exist in DB Rule by Change.
Deadline so too, but update deadline be good only you does not have a workflow in WOs. If you use workflow the deadlines must be the different for each WOs.

Vasily
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

David,

We achieve the result you are seeking by a WO DB rule triggered when the WO is created. This means that the values from the change that you wish to copy to the WOs must be in that change before the change is first saved. Remember that in spite of seeing WOs in a new change, these WOs are not really created until the change is saved.

-Josh
David Iannucci
Respected Contributor.

Vasily:

If the ability to update these fields is available, as you say, it is being well hidden from me. Also, I understand what you mean about workflow, but for now our process doesn't require that - all the WOs can have the same deadline as the Change. But thanks for pointing that out :-)

Josiah:

I thought I had tried what you suggest, and it hadn't worked, but apparently I just hadn't twiddled with it enough. In particular, I started out by checking "Select a related item?", and found that "Change" was not included on the menu, so concluded I wouldn't be able to get to Change fields. Now I see that that checkbox is for *setting* fields of related items, not accessing them.

And then I failed to note that Change fields are accessible within the field menu for WO. This is not exactly intuitive, when there is a checkbox for "Use related item values", which one would think was necessary in order to get to related Change fields. I did manage to get that box checked on once, but can't figure out how I did it now. Whatever. It works nicely now. Just another aspect of the black art of configuring SD :-/

Thanks,
Dave
Don't believe everything you think.