Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Co-Running Service Pages, ServiceDesk Application Server and Web Console on the same server?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Co-Running Service Pages, ServiceDesk Application Server and Web Console on the same server?

Hi there!

Is it possible to use only one server to run Service Desk Application Server, Web Console and Service Pages?

We are currently having both Service Desk Application Server and Web Console running on the same server.

We are using Windows 2003 Server with MS SQL Server 2000.
4 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Co-Running Service Pages, ServiceDesk Application Server and Web Console on the same server?

Hello Mathias,

As it is clearly stated in the release notes, do *NOT* run Web Console and Service Pages/Application Server at the same machine due to dependency on different java versions.

I quote from the readme file

Caution
The Service Desk 4.5 web console server cannot be installed onto the same system as your standard Service Desk/Service Pages server. Coexistence is not supported with Service Desk because of Java version conflicts between the two JVMs. Coexistence is not supported with Service Pages because of port conflicts between the two Apache Tomcat servlet installations.

The Service Desk 4.5 web console server cannot be installed onto the same system as HP OpenView Service Information Portal (SIP). The Service Desk 4.5 web console will overwrite SIP files and render the SIP installation unusable (or visa versa).
menes fhtagn
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Re: Co-Running Service Pages, ServiceDesk Application Server and Web Console on the same server?

Thank you George!

This was just the kind of answer I were looking for!

/Mathias
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

One minute here... Sorry for this late post!

So if I understand you correct it is not possible to run Service Desk Application Server and Web Console on the same server?

That's how we have set up our environment! (And it works to..!)

Would you suggest us to set up Web Console on another server and instead install Service Pages on the Service Desk Application Server?

/Mathias
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Would you suggest us to set up Web Console on another server and instead install Service Pages on the Service Desk Application Server?

I would say yes to this if you can. If you run into issues you may have support problems with this configuration. SP and app server are fine on the same server. Just ensure to increase the default java allocations in the installservice.bat files.

If your happy with the current set up and not bothered about possible hp support issues and it all works fine you could leave thinags as they are.