The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client 2008 on Mac

Highlighted
Steve Liddle
Super Collector

Client 2008 on Mac

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get Client 2008 for v4.5 to run on a Mac? Does the move to the Sun Virtual Machine mean that it will now run on a Mac?

Thanks,
Steve
2 REPLIES
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

Re: Client 2008 on Mac

Steve,

many hoped that the client will truly be what Java was meant to be - platform independent. However HP (how typical for them) managed to break this. They used Eclipse platform as a base for new client. Eclipse is nice, multi-platform library, that provides unified interface on top of native stuff (i.e. interfaces are the same but the implementation differs from platform to platform). HP didn't use only the unified interfaces but also use some of the platform-dependent code thus making the client Windows only again :-( What a shame!!!

I have started a mini-project of replacing those platform-dependent parts with platform-independent calls. I managed to run the client on Linux with few visual glitches like underlined fonts not working (that is Windows specific stuff) and some other minor things. Other than that it works.
Steve Liddle
Super Collector

Re: Client 2008 on Mac

Thanks for the prompt and detailed response. Much appreciated.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event