Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Client 2008 and Windows 7

Highlighted
Zbukkie
Frequent Contributor.

Client 2008 and Windows 7

Hello,

We use the Client 2008 (SP27) and Windows 7 (32.

When I install the client for the logged in user i have no problems with starting the client.

When a other user logs in into Windows 7 and starts the client, it will show a error message and shuts down.

The error message is: could not find repo.rep and messages.rep in .... repo\locales\1033

How can I chance this ?

Regards,

Frank

3 REPLIES
Err_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Client 2008 and Windows 7

Looks like a problem with permissions with the Operating System.

Wehn you installed the Client, it saved the files and cache to the currently logged in user's profile directory, hence when another user logs in, it tries to start the Client while reading the files in that other user's profile, hence the error.

It can not find those rep files, because they are in a folder where the user has no access.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
Zbukkie
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks for your answer.

All the Windows 7 users are members of the Local Administrator Group. I can browse to the rep files from the orriginal install.

Can I chance the location of the rep and other files to a directory where all user can read them ?

Does a install on a network directory where the users have read en write access solve this problem?

Regards
Err_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hmm... if the user is part of the administrator role locally on the PC, the Client2008 should start with no errors

What if the user starts the client with right click> Run As Administrator?

I just checked and found that Windows 7 is not yet certified to run with Client 2008 though:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM112648

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager