The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client 2008 Auto Update

Highlighted
Tom Fiore
Super Collector

Client 2008 Auto Update

Is there any way to get auto updates for service packs to work with client 2008 or is this something that is still being worked on?

12 REPLIES
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

Re: Client 2008 Auto Update

Tom,

it is possible and already working. However the mechanism is different from old client. You have to setup a HTTP server that holds the servicepack files for you. Then you need to set the server's URL to SD's configuration so that all Client 2008 instances will be able to download new SPs.

It is documented pretty well in the docs for Client 2008.
Tom Fiore
Super Collector

I read through the documentation and had some questions. Do you set the iis webpage to goto the site.xml file and then put the path of the site.xml as the path for the latest software version to get it to do a silent install. Im really wondering what file exactly does it check for in the url to do a silent client upgrade.

thanks
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

Tom,

for example from SP24/SP25 you publish the SP25 subdirectory (the one containing 'updatesite' directory and 'Client2008.msp' file). Then you just setup the URL to http://host/virtual_direcory_if_any/updatesite The updater then looks for the file site.xml - in this case it would be http://host/virtual_direcory_if_any/updatesite/site.xml That contains relative paths to all components needed.

Is this what you were asking about?
Tom Fiore
Super Collector

Yes, so when the directory is loaded in the iss site and servicedesk is pointed to the site.xml it will check that on every login and when I copy over a new version it will do a silent upgrade instead of a pop up saying to click on a link to get the update?
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

First,

you do not configure SD to point to site.xml - you configure it to point to the directory containing it, so it will look like http://somesite/somedirectory/

Second,

when the SD client starts, it will try to find site.xml in that directory (i.e. it will attempt to download http://somesite/somedirectory/site.xml).

Third,

2 things can happen:

1) if you have checked boxes for servicepack and/or hotfix installations in SD configuration, the client will check the site on every start and it will install available updates automatically (see pages 34-35 in SD45_Client_2008_Install_Guide.pdf that came with Client 2008 installation package).

2) if you haven't checked the automatic installation of servicapack and/or hotfix you can invoke the check manually from the menu. It will popup window showing you what updates are available and allow you to upgrade (see page 36 in SD45_Client_2008_Install_Guide.pdf that came with Client 2008 installation package)
Tom Fiore
Super Collector

Thanks for all the info, this is a big help.

One question, do you think this will work as a ftp site also or does this have to be http?

Thanks again!
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

I am not sure but I guess FTP won't work. It would have to be done generically which I think is not the case here. However it shouldn't be too hard to test such scenario.
SuperBet
Acclaimed Contributor

I already installed the SP 24/25 for Client 2008, but when I start the client, I still receive the popup saying:

"You need to upgrade your software. Click the link below to go to the web page containing the latest version and patches"

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
SuperBet
Acclaimed Contributor

Any ideas??? :(
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

What you are asking is already answered in my post from May 7:

1) if you have checked boxes for servicepack and/or hotfix installations in SD configuration, the client will check the site on every start and it will install available updates automatically (see pages 34-35 in SD45_Client_2008_Install_Guide.pdf that came with Client 2008 installation package).

2) if you haven't checked the automatic installation of servicapack and/or hotfix you can invoke the check manually from the menu. It will popup window showing you what updates are available and allow you to upgrade (see page 36 in SD45_Client_2008_Install_Guide.pdf that came with Client 2008 installation package)

2) applies to you...
SuperBet
Acclaimed Contributor

The message I receive is:

"You need to upgrade your software. Click the link below to go to the web page containing the latest version and patches:

file:\\cll28psdk1\Cliente_SD\cliente\cliente.msp"

What am I supposed to do with that? This address doesn't exists.
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

Well you cannot do anything - your SD administrator should take action - obviously (s)he setup the update link incorrectly...
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event