Checking deadline ind database rules

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
James Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Checking deadline ind database rules

Hi All!

We have OVSD 4.5 SP 19. We have database rules that send email when the deadline for a object passes if the object is still open. The problem is that even after we set the deadline to a later date, the rule triggers and sends an email that the deadline has been exceeded. This makes sense because the only condition we currently check is the status.

Logically, we need a second condition that checks whether the deadline is before or after "now". However, when configuring the DB rules, I find no way to define a condition like that. When defining a *view*, I can define the condition "deadline is older than" and set it to 0.0. This gives me all objects (calls, incidents, etc) where the deadline is in the past. However, you can't do this for DB rules.

To me this is an obviously useful function because I do not see any other way to create a DB Rule based on the deadline that does not trigger if the deadline has been changed. It is illogical to me that you an set the rule not to trigger if the deadline is before the asignee's birthday, but not if the deadline is after "now".

So, does anyone have an idead how to set the rule from not triggering if the deadline is in the future.

I would be grateful for any help.

regards,

jimmo

www.linux-tutorial.info
5 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Checking deadline ind database rules

Hi jimmo,

The rule we usually use is the following:

when SC is created or modified
Conditions:
1. When deadline(*) is not empty
2. Status is not closed or resolved scheduled 1 minute after deadline, only execute once.
Action: send email.

This should do what you need: the first condition just ensures that you only schedule a task to check the second if the deadline changes. The "only execute once" means that if the deadline is altered the scheduled task is rescheduled for the new value of deadline.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
James Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

I guess I am missing something. I really don't understand why you are saying "When deadline(*) is not empty". Is this simply to have rule there? There is no "not empty" criterium, but rather "not 'is empty'" or "is anything". However, either should work, right?

I was under the impression that once trigger was created, it was there. However, I must admit that I haven't played around with "execute once".

regards,

jimmo

www.linux-tutorial.info
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello James,

The NOT is empty is different than "is anything" since the latter allows for null values and you don't want null value to a date when creating scheduled task.
menes fhtagn
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Jimmo,

A bit more explanation: when you sue a scheduled condition you are scheduling the check of the condition to be made at that time. So my 2 conditions work like this:

The "deadline(*) not empty" check means that whenever you alter the deadline, it will schedule the check on the status to be made 1 minute after the deadline. You can see the scheduled task there if you look. If you then alter the deadline, if you have the "only execute once" box checked, then if you alter the deadline, you should see the scheduled task time alters.

Hope this helps

ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
James Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

@George: Thanks for the clarification.

@Ruth: I don't have an option that lets me set "deadline(*) not empty". I can set it to "is empty", "is anything" or "not is empty". I hate do be overly pendantic, but do you mean "not is empty" and "not status = closed"?
www.linux-tutorial.info