Did you mean: 

Changing planned start of related work orders

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Craig R Taylor
Collector

Changing planned start of related work orders

I have a number of work order templates that are related to change control templates. The work orders are for activities related to the change control. (Pre-checks, post-checks etc). The work order templates have a planned start and finish however it is based on an offset from when the work order is created.

What I would like to do is set the planned start and finish times based on when the change control is planned for.

E.g. If the change control is booked for 3 days from now and I need to do work a day before the change, the work order will have a planned start of 2 days from now.

Any ideas?
You can observe a lot just by watching. - YOGI BERRA
6 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Changing planned start of related work orders

Hello Craig,

If all work orders have planned dates then the planned dates of the change are automatically calculated.

Now, if you modify the planned dates of a change then OVSD will will ask to recalculate the planned date of the work orders.

The same stands for projects and changes.
menes fhtagn
Craig R Taylor
Collector

So if I have activities that start X days before the change event, is there a way to template that? As far as I can tell, you can set an offset of so many days but it appears that its in relation to the creation of the work order. How would I tie it to be offset in relation to the planned start of the change?

E.g Change request to add a new device - Planned start is X
Work order to add DNS entry for the new device - X minus 4 days
Work order to confirm DNS - X minus 2 days
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello,

If you have work order 1 to offset -2 and work order 2 to offset -4 then when the change is created (and has planned dates) then a recalculation of work order will occur.

A recalculation will occur any time there is a change in planned dates of the change.
menes fhtagn
Craig R Taylor
Collector

I do recall that now. However it looks like its not actually working that way. I went into the admin console and under the Application tab in General settings I ensured that "Time Dependencies" was selected.

Is there anything I need to configure for that to work?
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

To be fair i have set it up so long that I forget what it takes though I think that the only thing necessary is

a) Set "Time Dependencies" (check)
b) All Work Orders have planned dates in their templates.

I can't think of any good reason why modifying change's planned dates didn't force for a recalculation. I did a test in my system and when I pressed "Save and close" i got a popup asking me weather OVSD should do replanning or not!
menes fhtagn
Craig R Taylor
Collector

Strange. I changed the planned start time of the work order to today. I then tried to change the planned start of the change control to February.

I get the following error:

Planned date of this change is not within the planned period of workorder(s): 24126

So it looks like there is some sort of dependency there. Its just not prompting for the update. I do recall that it did this when we started using workorders. I also recall that we somehow disabled it though I can't see how it was done.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event