Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Change size of field in form

Highlighted
obscurr
Regular Contributor.

Change size of field in form

Hi!
When I create a new template, the complete name of the template doesn't appear in the service call form - toolbar. Is there any way of resizing the pull-down meny box so that the complete template name appears in the service call form toolbar meny?

Obscurr
9 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Change size of field in form

Hi there,

You cannot resize the box but if you use the icon to left of the drop down box (rather than the arrow on the right) or Ctrl+B, you will see a hierachical list of the templates and that you can resize.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
obscurr
Regular Contributor.

Thanks for the quick reply.
But I think that's really inconvienient. Templates are used to increase the speed of entering a Service Call, this doesn't exactly help in that matter. People will stop using templates and manually enter data instead.

obscurr
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

I agree that it is inconvenient but when I train staff to use SD, I always recommend they use the hierachic method because if you have a lot of templates it is much easier to work from such a view. Also I do recommend that you use set up template categories which can help you.

Hope this helps (and if does some points would be nice)

Ruth
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Obscurr,

I my experience, the thing the prevents people from using templates is when the template names are long and complicated and are thus hard to find.

-Josh
obscurr
Regular Contributor.

It really should handle at least 15 chars. Anyway that should a system admin responsability, a Service Desk application issue.

Obscurr
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Obscurr and Josh,

Some of the sites where we have implemented SD have had a very large number of templates with quite long names.

They have used a template category hierarchy (which is NOTHING like the one HP put in their DB) and train their staff always to use the hierachic view and this approach has been successful.

Regards

Ruth
Craig R Taylor
Honored Contributor.

One thing we have done in our organization is limit the view of templates by role. That way you only see the templates that are applicable to you and not the 30 others that aren't. With a smaller subset of templates to look at, its easier to figure out which template is appropriate.

You can observe a lot just by watching. - YOGI BERRA
Craig R Taylor
Honored Contributor.

One thing I noticed when I looked at your screen shot is that my own view of the templates list is wider. I'm not sure but it appears you have another button in the same group as your templates list. That might be preventing the list from being wider. I've included a screen shot of what mine shows for comparison.
You can observe a lot just by watching. - YOGI BERRA
obscurr
Regular Contributor.

Yes your list _is_ wider. Are you using v5.0?
I doesn't seem that I can delete the button you are refering to, I'm only allowed to delete the whole "standard" toolbar, not an entity inside...

Obscurr