The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change default "Description" field

Highlighted
shasha_1

Change default "Description" field

I'd like to change the default description field in Incident so that it will be able to accept more than 80 chars. The reason why I want to do this is because the messages coming from OVO/W (Integration) sometimes have more than 80 chars and when forwarded to OVSD, the some chars are removed thus giving me incomplete descriptions. I created a custom field and named it "Description" and made it a required field. I then modified the Incident form, removed the default "description" field and then used the custom field that I have created. Problem is it still looks for the original "description" field everytime a new incident is created. I know this field is system required but I need to know if it is possible to make the original "description" field not required so that I can use my custom field. Or change the maximum # of chars so that it will be more than 80 so that it will be able to handle the messages coming from OVO/W.
5 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Change default "Description" field

Hello Donna,

I'm afraid that you cannot make modifications to the original 'Description' field. You can't even make it not required as it does not appear on Security/Preventation/Required Fields

As I see it the only thing you can do is to modify your map (which used by sd_event) to inster both descriptions, the standard and yours, when creating a new incident. The standard description will be truncated but it doesn't matter since you don't display it on the form.

Regards,

George
menes fhtagn
shasha_1

Hi,

I wanted to do what you have suggested but when I check the external_event form (used by sd_event) I don't see there my "Description" field.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Donna,

Donna, open external_event, locate on the field your custom field, press modify and at "External Property" type description.

Make sure that your custom field is enabled.
menes fhtagn
Gyula Matics_1
Honored Contributor

Another way is to modify the template that is used for creating the incidents, and add a default value for the description field. And then modify the import map to add the informaton from ovo to your custom description field.
Andrej Saje_1
Super Collector

Gyula,

I was facing the same issue as Donna does, and have followed next steps:

1. created custom field Message description and activated it for all categories
2. added custom field to Incident form
3. modified external_event template to add text next to original Description field
4. modified import mapping external_event to map description field with my custom field

When new automatic incident has arrived and been registered in ovsd the OVO message description was still mapped to original Descriptipn and not to custom field. Am I missing something here? Please advise. Tx.

Andrej

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event