cancel

Change Request - Approved Status

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Change Request - Approved Status

Can anbody tell me how I can recognise within a UI rule, when the Result of a Change Request Approval Sheet becomes Approved.

In other words, I want to be able to run a UI rule when a CR gets enough approval votes for it to become approved.

The onlt fields that seem to be available for interigation by UI rules are:
Description
Deadline
#Approvers Required

The one that would really help:
Result
Cannot be accessed by a UI Rule!

Also, if anybody knows how to clear the list of Approvers via a UI rule that would be great. All I can clear is the Approval Group, which doesn't clear anything already in the list.

Why is it we can access and use some fields and not others? Its really frustrating!
9 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Change Request - Approved Status

Hi Peter,

you need to create a custom text field
Then create a UI rule that upodates the new costom text field with the VALUE of the approval result
Now that you have the result copied to another field you can fire additional rules based on the value in the next custom text field.
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks for the reply but, the problem is that I cannot access the Result field to check, or copy the value.

The field doesn't appear in the list of available fields?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi Peter,

to expand the other response: you need to set up a short text custom field, say called Xresult and have 2 UI rules:

Rule 1: when approval status is Ready, action is to set Xresult=Approavl;Result

Rule 2: is triggered by Xresult starts with Approv

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

OK, I understand now, thanks for the explaination of how to access those fields. Although the question now has to be "Why are they not available directly?"

No I don't expect anybody to answer that really.....

Is there a solution to the second part of my question?

How can I blank the list of Approvers? I want to be able to reset the entire Approval sheet.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Peter,

I think the reason that Result is not there is because in 4.5 it is a calculated field. FYI it is there is version 5 (so there is some improvement in 5!).

As regards your second question, I know no way of doing this.

Regards

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Marc Hummel
Outstanding Contributor.

Don't forget... sometimes you can type in the value of the field you are not finding and it will work... in other words, don't always rely on the drop down list...
gl
Wounds heel, Pain fades... chix dig scar's, oh and everybody WangChung.
Christine Perry
Super Contributor.

Peter - If the approval process is completely done, I restart it in this manner:

I first had to make a text field to hold the name of the person that is logged in at the time. There are certian actions only the Chagne Initiator can perform.

1 - update initiator field to the current person
2 - Set approval status to Inactive
3 - Reset the approval group (I use approver groups, not persons)
4 - Set the number of approvers required
5 - Set approval to Active
6 - Set initiator to Entered by Person

I have had this rule for several months. Just recently we added one more condition that has me pulling my hair out about it.
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Mark, I tried that, typing it in, but it didn't work, but I may have another look at that?

Christine, I've seen your post about the approval sheet. I think I replied to it?

What you suggest gets most of the way there but I don't think it clears the list of approvers which is the only part I have left with anything in it.
Leon B_1
Super Contributor.

Hi All

In SD5 I have noticed that you can use Approval Result as a trigger, however I have not managed to get any actions to trigger from it. I assumed this is because when forming the rule you need to enter a string and the string is still calculated?

Ruth, have you managed to get Approval Status to trigger actions in SD5?

Regards,
Leon