Category/Classification codes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Craig R Taylor
Collector

Category/Classification codes

Hello all,

We are currently investigating how we are using category and classification codes for our organization. We have 454 classifications. One department uses only 11 while the other uses the rest. I will need to investigate why department "A" needs to have so many classifications but I was just curious how other organizations utilized their classification codes. (I.e. How do you have? How specific are they to team/group/department?)

Thanks

Craig
You can observe a lot just by watching. - YOGI BERRA
4 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Category/Classification codes

Hello Craig,

We also have many classifications while the category list has about 7 entries.

We use Category to categorize the service calls according to the nature of the support call. For example a service call can be a support request, a change request, an incident etc.

We use Classification to categorize the service calls according to the functionality provided by the service linked to the service call. For example a "Web hosting service" provides different functionality from "E-mail hosting service" so the service calls about web hosting services need different classification from service calls about "e-mail hosting services" etc.

For example a support call can be about
menes fhtagn
Craig R Taylor
Collector

One more thing: How about closure codes? We currently have about 24. (which I think might be too many).

Any thoughts on this set of codes?
You can observe a lot just by watching. - YOGI BERRA
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

We don't have many closure codes. About 10 or less.
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

In any case, the problem of huge list has been solved on SP17 and generic relations and restrict values according to generic relations. A code may have many entries but using the appropriate generic relation we limit the list accordingly.

For example we restrict the classification according to service. We restrict the "Primary cause" (a custom code) according to Category. We limit the closure code according to "Cause".
menes fhtagn
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event