The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't start ServiceDesk 4.5, error writing to log file

Highlighted
J. Chris Perry
Occasional Contributor

Can't start ServiceDesk 4.5, error writing to log file

I can't start SD 4.5 and get an error message "Error when writing to logfile, out of memory? Trace null." I've also noticed that the tomcat server isn't running. Any thoughts on why this is occuring or how I might fix it?

7 REPLIES
Jay Mistry
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't start ServiceDesk 4.5, error writing to log file

Have you tried restarting the Service Desk service? Also clear the server cache and rename the logfile, restart the service and retry

Jay
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

stop ALL hp service desk services and then restart them. If this doesn't fix it reboot the server.

Search the forum for details on how to increate the java memory allocation which should prevent the problem from happening again.
Venkatesha_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

If you are starting the server using "sd_server.bat" file then,

Edit the file "sd_server.bat" file

REPLACE the line
java -cp lib\classloader.jar com.hp.startup.Bootstrap com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -showconsoleoutput %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

WITH this

java -XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M -cp lib\classloader.jar com.hp.startup.Bootstrap com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -showconsoleoutput %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

If the server is started using the windows service.

First uninstall it from the service using the script "uninstallservice.bat"

Edit the file "installservice.bat" and

REPLACE the line

sd_serverservice.exe -install "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server" DEFAULT -Djava.class.path="%SD_SERVERHOME%lib\classloader.jar" "-Duser.dir=%SD_SERVERHOME%\" -start com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -stop com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -method shutdown -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -current "%SD_SERVERHOME%\"

sd_serverservice.exe -install "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server" DEFAULT -XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M -Djava.class.path="%SD_SERVERHOME%lib\classloader.jar" "-Duser.dir=%SD_SERVERHOME%\" -start com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -stop com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -method shutdown -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -current "%SD_SERVERHOME%\"

The problem is due to memory leak / more memory utilization.

Before changing this make sure that you have enough RAM. (This configuration uses 1GB RAM)
J. Chris Perry
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks to Venkatesha, whose edits to installservice.bat and sd_server.bat we used successfully. Initially we discovered a little guidance in the Service Desk 4.5 installation guide (p.79), but it wasn't clear from the guide where to make the changes.

Thanks also to Jay and Mark.
J. Chris Perry
Occasional Contributor

From Venkatesha:

If you are starting the server using "sd_server.bat" file then,
Edit the file "sd_server.bat" file

REPLACE the line

java -cp lib\classloader.jar com.hp.startup.Bootstrap com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer
-showconsoleoutput %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

WITH this

java -XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M -cp lib\classloader.jar
com.hp.startup.Bootstrap com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer
-showconsoleoutput %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

If the server is started using the windows service. First uninstall it from the service using the script "uninstallservice.bat"
Edit the file "installservice.bat" and
REPLACE the line

sd_serverservice.exe -install "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server" DEFAULT
-Djava.class.path="%SD_SERVERHOME lib\classloader.jar"
"-Duser.dir=%SD_SERVERHOME%\" -start
com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -params
com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -stop com.hp.startup.Bootstrap
-method shutdown -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -current "%SD_SERVERHOME%\"

WITH the line
sd_serverservice.exe -install "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server" DEFAULT -XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M -Djava.class.path="%SD_SERVERHOME%lib\classloader.jar" "-Duser.dir=%SD_SERVERHOME%\" -start
com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -params
com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -stop com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -method shutdown -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer
-current "%SD_SERVERHOME%\"

The problem is due to memory leak / more memory utilization. Before changing this make sure that you have enough RAM.
(This configuration uses 1GB RAM)
Venkatesha_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

PS: Assign the points if any ones answer helped you.

Tawasul
Regular Collector

can any one help me, as my sd is installed on Sun solaris and client was also installed, now am not able to launch the SD client, but form windows machines i can connect its workign fine.. problem with when i initate "ovconsole" its not opening the client... please find the attached pic...
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event