The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not find labels.rep (SD4.5 SP9)

Highlighted
Crist Vandendri
Esteemed Contributor

Can not find labels.rep (SD4.5 SP9)

Hi all,

I have a problem with the Service Pages. They are installed on another server than the application server. When I try to login I get the message "Cannot read the dictionary, can not find labels.rep and messages.rep, put this in \repo\locales\1033".

On the application server, these files are present and the application server works fine.

One more thing: I installed the appserver in another directory than C:\... and I loaded 3 other languages.

Thanks for any help
17 REPLIES
Piotr Gorka
Honored Contributor

Re: Can not find labels.rep (SD4.5 SP9)

You can try to ask Illya Lyfar if he found reason of this situation in his case - http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=642663

Piotrek
pio_7@o2.pl
Vasily Aksenov
Esteemed Contributor

i have got the same problem
In log files there is the following error:
11/08/2004 16:19:53 Service Desk Message: Error:
Cannot read the dictionary, can not find labels.rep and
messages.rep, put this in \repo\locales\1033
Wed, 11/08/2004 16:36:41
Wed, 11/08/2004 16:36:41
Steven De Smet
Frequent Visitor

Hi Crist,

Can you check the web.xml for the correct app server.
at your app server, is the environment variable for SD server pointing to the D drive?

First things that pops-up in my mind, but the things you had checked allready I think.

See you

Steven
Crist Vandendri
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Steven,

Everything OK?

Of course, all the settings are checked. Connection on port 30999 is open, verification of username and password is ok, but then,......

Maybe good to mention is that both Service Pages and Service Desk are on Windows 2003. We've got it working on Windows 2003, when SP and SD are installed on the same server.

Security issue?

Really need help here guys and girls. 30000 end users are waiting and that's not very nice.

cheers

Crist

Did you ever get a fix for this? We see the same behavior on one of our API apps.
Crist Vandendri
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we found a solution. Seems that installation doesn't install all necessary class files. Just copy them from the application server to the web server and you're fine. (C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\server\lib)

Crist,

I am using a custom web api application. The only file I reference is web-api.jar. Do I need to include other jars in my classpath?

My code works fine when running in the same environment as the application server. However, when going through a firewall it fails (even though port 30999 is open). Any ideas? I though port 30999 was sufficient (it worked in the past).
Crist Vandendri
Esteemed Contributor

Well, we didn't really bother to find out why it worked when we copied the files. So I don't know which file really did the trick. Try to copy them all and see what happens. We passed the info to HP so they can figure out whet's going on.
Richard Mant
Acclaimed Contributor

Does anybody have any further information on this issue? I am trying to run example1 from the web api documentation on my desktop box connecting to a remote server and am receiving the message "Cannot read the dictionary ..." when I try to run it. I am a little confused by the posts which suggest copying all jar files from the server as I thought the only jar file required was the web-api. Has anybody been able to get to the bottom of this issue?

Thanks
Hans Stenten
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the same problem.

We're running SD 4.5 SP 14 on a Windows 2003 server and we have an application using the web-api.

Everything worked fine (and is still working fine) when the client is running Windows NT4.0.

However our customer is now investigating upgrading to Windows XP SP2, and to our surprise our web-api application isn't working on XP. We get the "Cannot read the dictionary, can not find labels.rep and messages.rep, put this in \repo\locales\1033"

The Service Desk client installation on XP is identical to the installation on NT4, same network.

Anyone encountered this problem before? Maybe it has something to do with XP SP2?

thanks for any feedback.

Hans
HPRB
michael.tartagg
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi, I appear to have an identical problem but lack to neccisary SAID to follow the link above, does anybody have any pointers on a solution?
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

these are the details from the e-care document

This error message is caused by missing or corrupted labels.rep and messages.rep under \\repo\locales\1033.

Stop the Application Server
Rename the %SD_SERVERHOME% directory (i.e. Rename to "server.old")
Run the Service Desk Application Server setup from the Installation CD.
(Re-)install the Application Server by chosing 'repair' (this will re-create the server folder and structure)
NOTE: Re-apply the 'server' portion of the current Service Pack running.
tykil
Acclaimed Contributor

I too am having a similar problem, I receive this message whenever I try to run a web-api application. The hp client itself in installed and working fine on the same machine.
I am running Windows 2000 and using version 4.5sp9 for client, server and web-api. Does anyone have any pointers on this? Is this related to a bug or configuration issue?
Thanks.
T.W
Hans Stenten
Occasional Contributor

I solved the problem by upgrading to SP17. I previously had SP14 and also had that error when using the web-api, I experienced it with different Service Desk installations (all SP14).

One of the ITSMxxxxx included in SP17 concerns the "Cannot read the dictionary, can not find labels.rep and messages.rep" error.

Hope this helps,
Hans
Gyula Matics_1
Honored Contributor

Generally, on older service packs, you get this error whenever the error handling of the web-api is buggy, usually during connecting to the servers.

Sometimes this problem is caused by wrong DNS entries. When the application server thinks it has a different name (as seen in the Active Applications servers on system console) than your client thinks it has. (as it is in the DNS or hosts file seen from the client)

Sometimes you get this when the server is inaccessible due to some network problem.

I've seen this error in relation to approvals as well, which seem to be buggy in web-api prior to SP13.
webiltis
Acclaimed Contributor

we also faced the very same problem on multiple hosts with SP14, but upgrading was not an option. in short: the presence of a service desk client or even server installation on the host where the web-api code runs is definetively not necessary! however, after painfull debugging sessions we discovered, that the web-api hosts needs to be able to resolve the unqualified (!) hostname of the server. that is, if your server runs on foo.bar.com, make sure that the client system can resolve "foo" (e.g. by putting foo's IP to your /etc/hosts or the windows equivalent, even though this probably kind of out-levers DNS). otherwise, your client code can still somehow connect by means of IPs or qualified names, but gets lost somewhere deep in the method stack and blows your application with this "labes.rep .." message, which has indeed absolutely nothing to do with the actual problem's source.

alas, as the previous poster already suggested, the problem might still show up on occasion due to different network problems, and the nasty thing about it is that it's really hard to recover from this error, since the mehod in question (AppDictionary.getInstance(), to be precise ) just invokes System.exit(1), thereby terminating the entire VM *ouch*. while this probably ain't a problem in a standalone commandline quickie, you can imagine the incredible mess this causes when your web-api application runs in a container besides other applications (e.g. an enterprise application server). this actually disqualifies the affected web-api jar(s) from being used in production code, so you might want to catch this "problem" when opening an ApiSDSession by either using java 2 security (look at the exitVM runtime permission) resp. a custom SecurityManagers, or find another suitable (:-)) way to deal with the method in question !

hope this helps!
He who lives in glass houses . . . shouldn't get stoned.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event