cancel

Can SNVP push anything to Service Desk?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Les A. Buettner
Honored Contributor.

Can SNVP push anything to Service Desk?

I do not do much Service Desk and I'm pretty new to SNVP. So hopefully this question will not be too wachy.

I have a consultant who went to training in Ft Collins, Colorado on SNVP who states that SNVP can push Service Information to Service Desk. This was told to my customer.

The problem is that I am unable to find anything about this in the Docs. Either I'm just missing it, or it is not in there.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I would love to be able to resolve this for this customer.

Any knowledgable response gets points for this "Training the wacky consultant" session.
Thank You in advance.

Les
Why can't this thing do what I want and not what I type?
4 REPLIES
JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Can SNVP push anything to Service Desk?

Hi Les,

I don't know much about SNVP but know a bit about SD.

The only way to get info into SD from a remote machine is via the command sd_event.
Using sd_event, you can get it to create a new Incident record with the details specified in the parameters.

So if you search for sd_event in your SNVP folders and can find the executable or script, you can more or less confirm it's possible for SNVP to send info to SD.

You may want to check for the presence of sd_exchange.bat or sd_export.bat as well. If your SNVP includes those batch files, it will allow you to export data into SD as well.
Les A. Buettner
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Jas.

I think what the customer wants to be able to do is when they create an entry in SNVP, they want to create it as a service in SD as well.

I'm not sure how that could be done since there are so many pieces of info that need to be entered when creating a service in SD.

I will go poking for the files you mentioned.

Any more info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance
Les
JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.

I know that it normally works the other way around. People uses SNVP which pulls information from the SD db to display the relationships in graphical form.

Since you are interested in add Service to SD db, you can forget about sd_event as that will not do the job.
It will have to be done via sd_export.bat or sd_export.sh and you are right, it's not a straightforward task as you will need to configure import mapping on SD's end as well.

SNVP relies on certain SD components to function so it might be possible if those components includes the client's bin folder which should have those batch or script file. If they are not there, forget it, if they are, check out the SD data exchange guide on how to use it.

Good luck.
Les A. Buettner
Honored Contributor.

Jas,

Thanks Again. This is starting to get a little more clear.

I checked the SNVP - SD integration doc again, and it looks like the only real access into SD is a context sensitive OVO link to open the SD client and display the related incident or alarm.

Also, it looks like SNVP, when installed with the integration into an existing SD implementation, actually uses the SD server to store its data. The client can be anywhere, but the SNVP data seems to be saved on the SD (Application) Server.

Also, it does have access to reference much of the SD configured data, but it looks like this is only to be able to include those objects and their status into the Service Map in Service Navigator.

So, unless I'm missing something, I think it does not give the ability to actually push any service information to SD.

Thanks Again for the feedback.

Les (not as dumb as yesterday)