cancel

Can I import categories and classification

Highlighted
thezapper
Trusted Contributor.

Can I import categories and classification

Hi,

I have the following queries.

1. The customer has around 400 different applicatins used by different clients. can i use some import feature for importing all these applications using exel into the Category, classification tabs.

2. I want to import Checklists there are more than 300 checklists. i want to import the same into Sd without typing them or doing cut and paste method. is this possible.

3. I want to send a broadcast message to different groups based on severity. the feature i know of in SD is text based. but i want to use rich text and other standard graphics for making the mail look attractive. basically this is for sending out broadcast mails saying there is an outage at x time. can i use states in SD for calculating accountable and non accountable time similar to status. The Customer does not want to use many statuses. he wants to use limited status and use more states. he will be using the state assigned everytime he reassigns to a group.
6 REPLIES
Michael Lutfi
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Can I import categories and classification

yes you can...Data Exchange the whole thing to import data from Excel. Simply create an ODBC connection in Windows to the Excel sheet document. Then export/import...for the import mapping you can specify which item is mapped to...
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

As Michael says, you can use DataExchange to import the values once created. But if you need to create the code values in the first place you have 3 choices :

1) Create them manually
2) Migrate them from an existing source using ACES
3) Write a function using the Web API to create them.

-Josh
thezapper
Trusted Contributor.

hi ,

Thank you for the information Michael. Under data you have checklist, i have around 300 checklist questions i want to import these questions into SD without manual intervension. i have these questions in excel sheet format.

and 2nd i need to create categories and classification under service call, in the data,codes, service call section. I want to do it automatically. if this is possible in the dataexchange then its great....currently i am not able to access or install Service desk to verify the questions i am asking.

And i am looking foward to some expert answering my 3rd query

Michael Lutfi
Outstanding Contributor.

yes you can...please see the attached sample screen shot :)
Marc Hummel
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello,
Josh, I know what you meant, but I am assuming that Mr. Zapper is not importing them from a T&D env or older OVSD set up, which negates the use of ACES, correct zapper?

Mike, is correct in using DE to move the cats/classes into OVSD. In order to do so I suggest looking at the DE manual zapper, I'd also suggest trying this on a T&D box first if you haven't had exposure yet.

The checklist question, I'm not sure if you can import them into the checklist feature in OVSD, I'd guess No. Open up help and type in checklist for more info.

For email, if the client is set to accept assignments via email (tools/options/adv) if the email address for his/her person record is correct and the email function is set up correctly (tools/system/email) the assigned PERSON will recieve notification, if assigned to a workgroup only then the workgroup as a whole will recieve email notification. What we've done is create DB rules to notify with a better format to techs/customers... I havent tried anything with graphics.

hth
Wounds heel, Pain fades... chix dig scar's, oh and everybody WangChung.
thezapper
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks marc,

you are right this is a brand new installation. If it can be done from dataexchange then great.

and i wanted to know one more thing is in sending emails. i had worked with emails earlier. but this person wants to send a mail to users as broadcast for different reasons and he does not want in plain text. he wants to send it in rich text format and should be attractive...apart from sending outrages mails he wants to send them information blah blah....so the need for the beautiful colored mails.