The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change the text used in the Admin Console?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Can I change the text used in the Admin Console?

Hi,

I have a requirement to amend the text used in the tree view in the Admin Console of SD 4.5.

The text I want to change is "hpOpenView service desk", (see attached screen shot).

I've looked through Presentation -> Localized Text and I found two entries of this text in 'Label Text'.

When I amended those nothing changed, despite restarting the service, and deleting the cache.

Can it be amended?
7 REPLIES
Jay Mistry
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can I change the text used in the Admin Console?

Peter

my gut feeling is that you cannot amend it
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

I think I am more curious why you need to change this but anyway... Like Jay my guts say no ... but maybe George can have a look and see if it can be done in designer mode.
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

I knew I'd be asked why......

At first it may seem trivial but I think its worth it.

I asked a question previously in the forums about customising the HPOV GUI.

We have 3 instances of HPOV of which I am administrator.

I have my machine setup so as I can run several instances of the client simultaeniously.

It can be very confusing as to which window belongs to which instance. I solved the problem of identifing the normal user window, simply by adding a new Group Heading to the shortcut bar, called "Test Admin" etc.

But the Admin console is proving much more difficult to customise.

As I said it may seem trivial but, once you have deleted or amended something on the live system, thinking you were in the Test system you may have a different opinion.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

This is hard coded in AppVersionInfo class but modifying it is a very bad idea. Administrator console uses this class to print the "hp OpenView service desk" as the root node.

Of course someone could "patch" AppAdministratorConsole to use a static text. But I'm not going to post such patch because HP will hate it and they will be right.

Modifying copyright information is BAD idea!
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

makes perfect sense.

I don't have an answer for you but you here is something else you can do.

Add the following to the end of you sd_cleint.ini file. It will add a title to the Openview GUI session. So if you have different profiles your titles will be different for each profile session. This is generally used with the %username% varialbe but you can just add text and that will display also (no spaces though). It doesn't affect the admin consloe though.

/profile=TestSystem
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hmm,

There is a simple solution in your problem. Log to the test system, go to Advanced Find and Select Label Text. There search for "Administrator Console". Modify it to "Administrator Console - TEST". Save it and restart the client. Now, every time you are using the Test System the "Administrator Console - TEST" will be appeared in the Title Bar of the Administrator Console window.
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Mark,

Thanks, I have used that solution but, it only applies to the standard user GUI, not the Admin Console.

Goeorge,

Thanks, that's 100%. I didn't realise that the window titles were in there!

PS
Wish you'd told me that the last time I asked the question, lol.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event