cancel

Calls, change and release management relationship

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Carlos Valle_1
New Member.

Calls, change and release management relationship

I have many calls with different complaints, and these different calls will be solved by a unique software release. Is there a way to correlate this release through change management in order to close these different calls?
6 REPLIES
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Calls, change and release management relationship

Hi Carlos,

There are two questions in your post (if I understood it correctly). One pertains to the logic, and 2 to the technical details.

1. Logically, you should follow the Release Management process, and link all resolvable issues with the same.

2. Technical Details - Open a change ticket with details of Release Management (using a workorder if required). Link all resolvable calls to this change ticket using "Solved By" connection.

Another way can also be to open a Problem ticket first with all the incidents and Service Calls related to it; and then relate the problem ticket to a change ticket which you can relate using "Solved By".

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Carlos,

You should be able to create a DB rule triggered by a change in status and/or closure code for a change that updates service items related to that change.

-Josh
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Carlos, I agree with Sarah....but we usually also create a Project record for the release. So we have:
- a Project record for the Release
- a Master Change linked to the Project for all the details, release approvals etc
- any other changes going into the release can be linked to the Project as well
- any calls, Incidents, Problems fixed by the Release would be linked to one of the Changes (could be the master change)
- any other changes required to actually implement the release get linked to the Project record also.

Under v5 you can link changes to changes to this might change how we do this...not sure yet. HTH......Ken.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
Carlos Valle_1
New Member.

Thank you all..

I think i should go through migration of SD 4.5 to 5.0 first. Maybe some issues related to this topic have been already in place. But your input was very useful. thanks a lot.
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Carlos,

On that note... The migration path (official) is not available from 4.5 to 5.0, it's available from 4.5 to 5.1 (releasing June 2006)...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

A final precision: the upgrade path is from 4.5 SP17 or lower to 5.1. The upgrade path from 4.5 SP18 is not currently defined.

-Josh