CMDB structure - hardware and aliases

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Anda Apine

CMDB structure - hardware and aliases

Hello,

I need your suggestions on CI structural
Have to represent 3 real life situations in CMDB structure?
1. 2 CIs-server has the same alias - DNS name. The same CIs can have more than one alias.
2. on 1 CI-server is running VMware and several virtual servers.
3. we have database with it's physical name and alias. Alias can be only for database or also for server on which database is located.

Questions:
1. How to register virtual names in CMDB?
2. How to distinguish real CIs and virtual CIs?
3. How to set relations?

Thanks in advance,

Anda
8 REPLIES
Dan Ioan
Frequent Visitor

Re: CMDB structure - hardware and aliases

Hi Anda,

For servers only, we introduced some custom fields 'Host Name', 'Network Name'(for DNS), 'Role'(to specify server destination). 'Host Name' should be unique for each machine. If you add to all of this 'Alias name' you will be able to identify each server and avoid any confusion between machine and instances installed on. For some high end servers we have logical partitions defined as children. A server, as a machine,is a physical device unique identified. What is virtual on these machines are software instances in my opinion, so you can try to relate in same manner you do for usual software CIs and HW where are installed on.
Hope this helps you a little.
Best regards,

Dan
Bhuvnesh
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Hi Anda,
In our implementation, apart from registering physical host we have also registered virtual names and alias as CI. We relate each other using "other relations". For example a server xyz can also be referred to as ip-abc in which case both cis are created as unique CI and then ip-abc will have "an alias of" xyz.
Advantage of this method is that you can relate more than 1 virtual name or alias to the same server (without setting it to a max limit by providing multiple fields for each vip or alias).if you choose to use a text field to store all vip or alias names then the reporting could become difficult.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Bhuvnesh
Judit_Pongracz
Super Collector

Hi Anda,

although I haven't implemented such an environment yet, I would say that it's beneficial to resister virtual names as separate entities in the CMDB, and use relations, exactly as above. As to distinguish between them, I would use a checkbox, and once it's filled I would make it write-protected.
Hope this helped.
Judit
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Anda,
Hello,

1. How to register virtual names in CMDB?
We put them in a Name field (the hostname is in the Search code for machines; the SID (for Oracle DBs) in the search code for databases.

2. How to distinguish real CIs and virtual CIs?
We put them in different categories. Furthermore, a virtual machine is a child of the physical machine that hosts it.

3. How to set relations?
see above for computers.

Good luck,
Josh
Anda Apine

Hello, everyone!

Thanks, for your suggestions!

Some notes/questions from my side.

If I set alias/virtual name as attribute of CI there is basically 2 problems:
1. What to do/how to make reports, if I have 10 virtual names for same 2 servers?
2. if virtual name has it's own ip address where to put it?

Taking in account both reasons I decided to create separate CIs in my case. Please tell me about disadvantages of this kind of solution.

Second question about distinguishing real CIs and virtual CIs.
I do not like idea of registering vmware and clustering software with server names in software part of CMDB, because attributes of these virtual CIs are similar to physical, by the way - does your HelpDesk knows is this virtual name or physical server. It is easier to use the same category and attributes. Tell me where, I'm wrong.

Third question - Can you specify more precisely what type of relations you would use? As VMware is many(virtual) to one(real) and cluster is many(real) to one(virtual) - how to show the difference?

Thanks in advance,

Anda

Receive your points!

Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Anda,

There was a very interesting presntation about this issue at the Help Desk Show in London during April (given by one of my colleagues here at Fox IT.)

Have a look at this link http://www.foxit.net/common/ppt/hits/hits.html and click the play button

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Judit_Pongracz
Super Collector

Hi Anda,

I think that reporting is eaqully complex for both scenario, but for different reasons. Reporting on relations is always more difficult than reporting on fields.
And the disadvantage of separate CIs is that you have to be able to maintain those relations between your physical server and virtual servers.
As to the type of relation, probably I would create a new type, say "virtual server of", that is at least self-explanatory.
I still think that recording separate CIs is the way, but I haven't seen what Ruth posted yet, maybe I'll change my mind afterwards.:)
Hope this helped,
Judit
Anda Apine

Thank you Ruth and Judit!

I got really good ideas from both of you.

I'm worried about technical issues (maintaining relations) in implementing this structure, but I think that technical should not influence logical this time.

Anda

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event