cancel

CI's in Support Request

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Christine Hughe
Trusted Contributor.

CI's in Support Request

HP Service Desk 4.5 SP26. Can anybody advise on how to handle the following scenario:
I would like to know if there is a way to represent the following in the CMDB, We have a service that has an application which resides on more than one server.So when closing a support call down in the CI field we would like to be able to report on the application and the server name. Is this possible.
10 REPLIES
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: CI's in Support Request

Represented in the CMDB: yes.
Reported in a Service Call using a single CI field: no.

An explorer view can show you a list of all servers in the navigation pane. In a leaf view, you can display which CIs are tied to the server with a relation type of 'is installed'.

Because 2 CIs are involved, you would need an additional CI field, which is by all means possible. Simply create a Custom Field that points to the Configuration Item entity.

You can then use a View to display Service Call data along with the two CIs. However, using a Custom Field will have its limitations. The Calls/Incidents tab will probably not show any information based on the the Custom Field.

Hope this helps.
Points are welcome!

The Pike
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Christine,
Did you need some more help on this?
Christine Hughe
Trusted Contributor.

Hi The Pike,
At the moment no thanks. I just need to try a few things out in our dev environemt over the next couple of days, but I may be back to you if you don't mind. I have awarded you some points for caring. Christine
Christine Hughe
Trusted Contributor.

Hi The Pike, hope you can help in this it follows from my previous question. I have created a new entity field called Application CI to be used on closing Support Requests, however I would like the values to be hirearchical rather than orderd, can you advise on how to do this please? - thanks Christine
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Christine,

What type of entity reference field is it?
Code or CI?

Can you post a screenie showing exactly where you would like those to appear as a hierarchical list?

The Pike
Christine Hughe
Trusted Contributor.

Hi The Pike, thanks for the reply I have attached screen shots as requested, hope they are self explanatory. Christine
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Christine,
The screenshot was very useful.

If the code you are using now is one of the out-of-the-box codes that can be activated, be aware these cannot display hierarchically.

You need to create a custom code (hierarchical). Then a custom field and point "Entity To" the custom code you created.

I tested in my sandbox and it was very easy to do. See screenshot attached.

Give it a try and reply if you need more help.

The Pike
Christine Hughe
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks The Pike this has worked just as I wanted it to, assigned 10 pts. Until the next time - Christine
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Cool! Only points did not take, again... :(
Christine Hughe
Trusted Contributor.

Sorry I must have forgotten to press submit points, Have done now let me know if you didnt get them. Thanks again - Christine