The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CI relations guidelines

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Michael Timofey
Acclaimed Contributor

CI relations guidelines

Hello all.

I would like to know if there exist general guidelines with regard to establishing CI relations.

The biggest concern is maintaining relations when CIs get deleted.

Thank you in advance.

Michael
4 REPLIES
Ramaprasad N
Esteemed Contributor

Re: CI relations guidelines

Hi Michael,

Normally, we don't delete any CI/records from the OVSD database. In stead, we block the records, so that it cannot be used in any of new requests/calls/records/relations. If CI needs to be deleted, all the Service calls/Incidents/etc related to that CI should also be deleted/un-related, which is a lenghty procedure. Of course, the modifications to CIs will be done/maintained through Changes/WorkOrders.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Michael,

we do not delete Ci either. We block them. I have set up a number fo system views showing All CI's (Including Blocked) and and All CI's (Excluding Blocked) to isolate the two when required. As for the relations we have kept it as simple as possible for the moment as previously it was set up very complicated and became unmanageable wih the resources available.
Best advise is to define the categories around the CIs types that will be the relations e.g.
Servers
Switches
Operating Systems
Appliations
Databases

Thay way you can relate the main CI types.
We make and remove the relations under chaneg control but this is done manually. We created a very concise instruction document for the staff to use when entering, updating and blocking CI's but there is only a small number of users given rights to do this.

I hope this helps in some way.
Mike Bush
Honored Contributor
Solution

Regardless of whether CIs themselves are deleted there is often a need to delete RELATIONSHIPS, particularly when SW is linked to HW and changes (ie PC was WIN2K and is now WINXP). This ability is sadly lacking from data exchange. Managing by hand is OK up to a point but in large bulk situations (like a feed from Radia) the only solution is to SQL extract the data from the CI Relations table includng the OID, compare with "new state" and then SQL Delete the redundant ones. Not something to be taken lightly, nor enjoyed by HP!
Michael Timofey
Acclaimed Contributor

Thank you all for your response.

I understand your point and perhaps using deletion was not the best example. However, item I am concerned about it having to re-assign CI relations once item has been 'retired'. Manual process of managing relations seems good to a point however it becomes unfeasible in a case where the entire CI schema is going to be modified to establish new relations and re-assign old ones.

Thank you again.

michael
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event