The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing Time Capture within Service Desk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
MichelleR
Occasional Contributor

Billing Time Capture within Service Desk

Our staff (i.e. service desk, network group, DBA group, etc) is required to bill their time in 15 minute increments to the organization they are doing work for. Further, time needs to be reflected on a daily basis, so that if a Service Call is open more than 1 day, each day's time is reflected on the day it was worked. To add more confusion to this, our current process has the various workgroups passing tickets amongst each other - i.e. if the Service Desk guys can't fix it, they pass it to the network group. The network group fixes the issue and then closes the ticket.

Do any of you out there use this for your time tracking / billing? I hate for our guys to have to do dual entry into 2 systems. Any ideas?
5 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Billing Time Capture within Service Desk

Hi Michelle,

SD allows for this with the spent time fields on history line. To use this you would need to use a reporting tool and (more significantly) get staff to enter the time spent and this is the difficult bit.

The only other alternative is to have a custom number field with a UI rule that enforces that it cannot be emty when a record is saved + a DB rule which adds this into a running total (second custom number)and then empties the first. (Note it has to be enforced by a UI rule rather than being required because if required the DB rule could not empty it).

Hope something here helps.

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Marc Hummel
Frequent Visitor

Ruth hit the nail on the head... "history lines" were a good idea, poor set up in the system... they are meant to account for so much, however since they are a pain (users feel OR dont feel like clicking in yet another tab to make note of a 5 minute fix...) you will have to MAKE people follow guidlines to get your report... in my experience you can't make them do it, hit and miss... use a tool or set up rules and custom fields.

Westbury is the reporting tool I'd use.
Wounds heel, Pain fades... chix dig scar's, oh and everybody WangChung.
Guy Salomon
Regular Collector

Michelle and all. In conjuction with this I keep hearing about "Better Reporting Tools" that are available in SD 5.0 and in SP 17 and 18 for 4.5.

Does any of you know if these "Tools" address better granularity of time recording for the consultant?

Thanks, Guy
MichelleR
Occasional Contributor

All-
You've confimed my worst fear - that I'd have to use the history lines. They sure have a whole bunch of potential - but being stuck on a different page really detracts from their usefulness (are you listening HP?). You'd think that other companies use this in conjunction with their time tracking... I appreaciate the comments.
Dan J Munoz
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I agree that history lines are not the most "aesthetically" pleasing way to track spent time but I've found it to be the best way in Service Desk. It would be nice if you can customize the history line views to show user entered information only. Iâ ve setup procedures for technicians to enter work history in history lines including spent time for service calls. I created a report that provides spent time in service calls for organizations. Generating a report for total spent time based for caller's organization is another issue. You do need a reporting tool that can provide you with that functionality. Westbury Service Desk Intelligence Solution as Marc stated has the capability to do this. http://www.westburyusa.com/
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event