Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice upgradeing Service Desk 4.5 with SP 23

Highlighted
R Hansen
Occasional Advisor

Best practice upgradeing Service Desk 4.5 with SP 23

Hey everybody,

I need some good suggestions how to upgrade our Service Desk 4.5 from SP11 to SP23. I have downloaded SDSK_00123.EXE and extracted this exe file from the link: http://support.openview.hp.com/patches/sdsk/sdsk.jsp. I have consulted the \\doc\install folder but I am not quite sure doing the upgradeing proces upon that stuff.

I am look forward to hear from you experts how to go further in out Service Desk project.

Regards
R Hansen
3 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Best practice upgradeing Service Desk 4.5 with SP 23

Hello,

Before upgrading to SP23 (or to any other version equal or greater to SP16) you need to migrate the attachments.

Have a look at http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=SDSK_00060

In any way before applying the Service Pack you need to backup the database. I cannot stretch enough the importance of this. Upgrade is one way procedure, you cannot downgrade unless a db backup have been taken.

The upgrade itself is pretty straightforward procedure. Unpack the exe and install depending on where you run ovsd server, one of solaris\sdserver-4.5-sp.pkg, hpux\sdserver-4.5-sp.depot or windows\server\server.msp

After you do the installation you must run the database wizard to upgrade the database.

You also need to install service pages (if you use it) and agent to all machines you need to communicate with ovsd application server.

Now, also you need to upgrade every java client. Either you must distribute the windows\client\client.msp and have your users install it (it requires windows administrator priviledge) or since you are on SP11 you can do it automatically. Doing the latter, every client when logging to OVSD will receive the update, the client will restart and after the restart it will be SP23.

But you must enable this function before you upgrade to SP23. To enable it go to Administrator Console/System Panel/General Settings and go to tab "Remote Updater". There check "Service Pack".

Unfortunately this is not 100% bullet proof and in rare occasions clients might having problems automatically updating. For this clients you must follow the classic upgrade method.
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

-If using SMS or Radia to push out the new SP to clients prepare it now and test it fully
-Back up database
-Back up the existing attachments folder
-Install Perl 5.x (whatever version is needed for the migrations)
-Run Attachments migtration
-Upgrade java on the server
-Run SP upgrade (App server, DB, SP, Agents)
-Run attachments migration again to get any remaining attachments since the first time you run it
R Hansen
Occasional Advisor

Trying another strategy.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event