Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Banner in SD4.5

Highlighted
Smitha Sajeev
Super Contributor.

Banner in SD4.5

Hi there,

When the information has been edited I wanted to show a banner on the desktop. How to do that? I 've written a DB rule for that but its not working. Is there any option that has to be enabled on the client side? Kindly help.

The DB rule:
Database Rule Green Banner when Service Call modified by HPCS No Alerts When service call is created or modified
where Assignment;To workgroup (*) equals HP Hardware
AND Information (*) contains HPCS, Schedule the validation of this condition at 1 minute After Registration;Created, Only execute once Green Banner (Command Exec Action) , Shows a green banner with text about assigned service call, Host: 172.1.13.99, Command line: "%SD_AGENTHOME%\bin\banner.exe", Parameters: /green Service call [ID]; information field has been modified.

Regards,
Smitha
7 REPLIES
Michel SILVA SO
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Banner in SD4.5

Hi Smitha,

the Banner is available on the client not on the server...
DB Rules are triggered on the server.
UI Rules are triggered by the client so use a UI Rule to execute the banner.

;o)

Rgds,
Michel
FXCISD
Super Contributor.

Smitha,

try
1) chk if the agent is running
2) replacing the ip with the hostname (the agent acts wierd -atleast with 5.1)
3) try \\bin\\banner.exe

do a test with a "notepad" at the command line and see if it gets executed.

--Franz
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Smitha,

Although a DB rule is executed on the server, you can say where you want the application in the rule's action to be executed. This is simple enough if it is hard-coded; but where do you want the banner to be executed? On the PCs of the members of the workgroup "HP Hardware"? Or is this just an example?

-Josh
Smitha Sajeev
Super Contributor.

Hi there,

I wanted to execute the banner on 2 or PC's not neccessary to be the HP Hardware workgroup. Can I show the banner on IP address is specified. I've tried with UI rule also.

Regards,
Smitha
Michel SILVA SO
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi there,
what you want to achive is not really possible with the banner. Try to send an e-mail to the concerned person. You are not able with banner.exe to send a notification to a predefined workstation like that. Use another tool (net send) or send e-mail.

Rgds,
Michel
Venkatesha_1
Outstanding Contributor.

When service call is created or modified
where Assignment;To workgroup (*) equals HP Hardware
AND Information (*) contains HPCS, Schedule the validation of this condition at 1 minute After Registration;Created, Only execute once Green Banner (Command Exec Action) , Shows a green banner with text about assigned service call, Host: 172.1.13.99, Command line: "%SD_AGENTHOME%\bin\banner.exe", Parameters: /green Service call [ID]; information field has been modified.

In the Above example, the host with the IP address "172.1.13.99" should contain the Service Desk Agent installed and should be running in order to display the banner.

In General, the service desk agent should be run on the machine where you want to display the banner.

If the banner should run more than one PC, you can add as many "command Exec Action".

Hope this solves your problem.

Regards
Venkatesha !
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Smitha,

If you want the banner to be displayed on two different PCs, then you must create either two rules (one for each PC); or you must run another application from the rule that can remotely execute an application, and which allows passing two IP addresses or host names.

Your problem may be that you do not have the agent installed or running on either the server or on the target PC.

-Josh