Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Automatic status updates of related Workorders

Highlighted
Rodd_1
Super Contributor.

Automatic status updates of related Workorders

Hi,

Have tried to investigate and test this a little bit but I am not sure I´m on the right track. We will soon implement the Workorder functionality at our company. For this we will create Change -templates which contains one or more Workorders. These will not be set up as Predecessors/Successors in the templates. However, users will have the possibility to create this relationship manually. I have set up the default Predecessor template to enable "Enable automatic status update" and also "Successor Starts Only If Predecessor Is Closed". The question is what else I need to do to make the Successor change status every time a Predecessor is closed? I have tried to create a DB rule that does this. I have also set one WO status to be "Is successor start status". Nothing has made any difference so far. I cannot get the Successor to change status. Can anyone give me an idea what minimum has to be done. So far these relationships will always be set up manually.

Regards,
Mikael
3 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Automatic status updates of related Workorders

Hi Mikael.
Create one db rule:
When work orders is created
OR When work orders is modified
where Status (*) equals Completed
Set status of successors (Update data) Work Order Predecessor;Successors;Status set to Assigned; Work Order

Action attached for more cleared understandable.

Vasily
Rodd_1
Super Contributor.

Hi Vasily!

Actually, I had set up the rule exactly as you described. After testing it a second time it suddenly worked. It seems the DB rules are not really reliable in OVSD 5.1... Then I have one question left though. If doing this via a DB rule, is it still necessary to enable "Enable automatic status update" when relating the Predecessor? To me it looks like the options you make in this relation should automatically generate this workflow, without the need of DB rules....

Regards,
Mikael

Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Mikael,

In version 5 you should not need any DB rules: you can set checkboxes on WO statuses to indicate which is:

Successor start status
and
Ready

So you set "Successor start status" on the status which means the predecessor is completed and "ready" status on the status you wnat the successor to start at.

It is on eof the very, very, very few places where version 5 makes life easier!

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net