cancel

Auto-fill of Work Order fields from Service Call

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Ermin Signo
Trusted Contributor.

Auto-fill of Work Order fields from Service Call

Hi guys, i need help on this. I've been trying to create UI but no luck or I might have wrong of the setup of rule.

We have a Work Order in every Service Call. We would like to have that everytime we add a Work Order via Service Call, some fields would be automatically filled up based on Service Call details.

Any advice?

BTW, we are using SD 4.5 no SP

Regards

Ermin
9 REPLIES
Eric Ung
Super Contributor.

Re: Auto-fill of Work Order fields from Service Call

Not sure if your SP level have this but in SP17, When you are in a Service Call or any item, just Click on Actions in the Menu Bar and select "Create Workorder-Copy value from current ietm". It should copy some fields from the Service Call to the workorder provided you have saved the Service Call first. You can configure the fields to copy in the Admin Console, Data-Copy Fields. Hope this helps.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Ermin,

To update a WO from a SC you have to use a DB rule by using the updata data action on a related item. A UI rule will not do this.

Hope this helps and just ask if you need more details.

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Ermin Signo
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your reply. I totally forgot that one! Actually SP is not an option right now. We previously implemented SP13 but had to revert to base since we encountered licenses problems. I saw that option "Create Workorder" thru Service Call in SP13 which is not available in base. To make it clear:
-A Work Order will be added before saving the Service Call.
-When adding a Work Order, the fields will automatically copy the contents of some fields from the Service Call.

I have made a workaround thru Smart Actions and sd_dataform. Unfortunately, it has some glitches. Maybe due to lack of SP applied.
Ermin Signo
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Ruth,

Is is possible to create a DB rule in Service Call that will create Work Order and copy its contents?

Thanks
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ermin,

You do not say if the WOrk Order is created via a template, or if you create it manually.

You have essentially 4 possibilities that I can think of :

1) Put values in the WO template
2) Copy values from the SC, using the system action (as mentioned previously)
3) Create the WO using a UI rule that runs sd_dataform
4) Use DB rules to populate the WO fields from the related SC fields.

You might find that a combination of these might be necessary.

-Josh
Ermin Signo
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Josh,

WO is created manually and fields that are needed to be filled up based on its parent SC, are mandatory. Thus, item 1 is not possible.

I'll try to experiment by combining the options you have given.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ermin
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Ermin,

You can indeed use a UI to update the Work Order from the Service Call, we do it all the time. There does seem to be some restrictions however. For instance I don't seem to be able to get the rule to fire on opening of a new work order but it does work on the changing of a value, see the example below:

When a value has changed
where ID is empty
AND Status (*) is anything
Copy Short Description (Update Data) Short Description set to [Service call Short Description]

The rule conditions say where the ID is empty, which means it must be a new item which has not yet been saved to the database, (if you have the system set that way?). It also says that trigger this rule when the WO Status field changes to any value.

The actions of the rule then copy the Description from the Service Call to the new Work Order.

This works where you create the WO from the service call form by clicking the ADD button.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Ermin Signo
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Peter,

Thank you! That worked!

--closing the thread

Regards,

Ermin
Ermin Signo
Trusted Contributor.